Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Re: Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Post by Cardinal »

Finished the top hull with the zimmerit and hatches. The main bit is done but not finished! The rear and lower hull, along with the mud guards also need zimmerit. Smaller work, but worth nonetheless. I think I can manage. Not much modification here though I’ll have to double check if the hatches change. I don’t think they do, but you never know since the Germans always changed even small details like it.

Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
t16s
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by t16s »

it would be easy enough to 3D model new wheels and sprockets, track etc and 3D print them.
I did make some Pz III tracks a while back for an old Matchbox model I was fettling up.

Stuart
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You are doing nice work on this Cardinal.

Nige
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

t16s wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 1:29 pm it would be easy enough to 3D model new wheels and sprockets, track etc and 3D print them.
I did make some Pz III tracks a while back for an old Matchbox model I was fettling up.

Stuart
Probably a good option for those who can print. Do you know of any Panzer IV wheels you could print in 20mm? That would be my main concern when wanting to replace. Definitely cheaper than buying the mb kit for the wheels but does have its own drawbacks. Narrows down to the person and what they are capable of.
Alex

Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Completed most of the hull tonight, the last thing to do is smaller details and the rear plate. The zimmerit all together is what takes up the most time but the effort is well worth. Perhaps it is just me, but I believe the earlier Panzer IV upper hull were taller. I say this because the Ausf G onwards just looks smaller. Anybody else noticed this? A strange spot zimmerit would often be placed was the mud guards, most likely to fend off any magnetic mines looking to take out the track. I did have to be careful on the rear ones to prevent burning the edge off. The lower and upper hull glued to the mud guards relatively easily. I do like the fact it wasn’t a struggle to wrestle gluing it on (unlike the wheels…) which speaking of have been removed of the teeth partially. While I could keep them, it would just be enough trouble to try and maneuver them into the holes.

Alex

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is progressing very well indeed, Cardinal.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

All the OOB parts have been put on, with the extra gun and Jerry can left off (for now..) and I think it’s coming together well. The belief it feels tall might come from the turret, because it does look a bit taller than some other turrets seen later. Not much I can change now, but it does not bother me either. The spare wheels, headlights, spare tracks, and whatever the piece on the left mudguard, are put on and complete the kit just about.

The rear was all put together well and although a good bit of the zimmerit was covered it doesn’t bother me a huge amount. If you are doing the Fujimi Panzer IV, I must tell you that the cylindrical exhaust is not included on the Ausf J.. The fix is to buy the Airfix kit and use provided exhaust which is correct, OR:

I understand budget may not be everybody’s teammate, so I have a fix. Not only does this kit give you everything you need for the conversion but is also very close to scale: Revell’s 1/72 Panzer IV H. Not only does it replace the sprocket, wheels, it provides a better MG mount on the hull, air filter, the exhaust, improved copula that also has MG34, it does this all being very close to scale with 1/76. If you feel, this may save you a lot of buying. The use of the provided schurzen is up to you but I question its usefulness without any cutting down.

I’ve also added the aerial mount. A pain to put on but glad it’s done.

Up next is the mounts for the schurzen.
Alex

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is some seriously mirco-scale work - very nicely done!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
B4en

Post by B4en »

You're becoming a dab hand with that hot screwdriver Cardinal!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Shaping up very nicely, Cardinal, this is a great conversion to follow along with.

IPMS#12300
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Thanks for all the kind comments. It’s nice to see people have interest in this.

Did in fact get some stuff done tonight to end off my Valentine’s Day. All the support for the schurzen is now applied to the turret, and all there is left to do really is put that on itself. I think soon enough I’ll get to that so I can finally start to paint this thing and finish it up. Hopefully the hull mounts won’t be as difficult, or as time consuming. Maybe I should have just bought from Milicast… But what’s the fun in that? :grin: These came out pretty good and I managed to get them pretty symmetrical, though you can see the very front right mount is a bit forward. Doesn’t bother me too much so I don’t think I’ll do anything. Good progress, and I am glad to have this part almost over with. If you couldn’t tell these were on their own a pain to make. Next time I’ll try and make it easier for myself, as this is just not a fun process. But if it means getting closer to the end result… I’ll do it. The finished product never comes immediately— unless you have Diecast that is! ;-)

Entire build so far.

Closer image of some of the mounts.

Overhead view.
Alex

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I agree, where's the fun in buying stuff when you can make it yourself and thereby put something of you into the build. Looking good and I doubt the slight misalignment of the turret mounts will be really evident once the armour is on.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Some fiddly work with those mounts.

Nigel
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Coming on well.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks like the turret is growing legs.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”