Friul tracks -> quick & easy assembly method

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Friul tracks -> quick & easy assembly method

Post by KellerModeller »

Hello all,
in a german modeling forum, I read the following method. I have modified it a little, tried it on my 1/35 Nichimo Tiger and I am surprised how easy it was compared to the stories you read about Friul assembly on the Internet. Only thing you need additionally are Syringe needle tips that do not cost a lot of money, especially in relation to how easy and quick it is.
I used "Braun Sterican Size 20, ø0,4mm x 20mm.
As the needles have sharp tips and the White Metal of the tracks is soft, there is no pre-drilling required if the holes are not massively blocked. I just took a syringe needle tip, 2 track Elements and pressed the needle into the holes. Then the syringe adapter ist cut off and the final 1-2mm are inserted by pressing the needle end on the workbench. When the track length was reached, I secured the needle ends with a little superglue (probably not even necessary) and inserted the final pin. "Playing around" with the track will assure that they are fully moveable.

Sorry I do not have better pictures of the process, I was too busy doing the track ;-)

Thanks for looking
KM
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Friul tracks -> quick & easy assembly method

Post by Stuart »

I find the thought of individual track links horrifying, that's why my Tiger build stalled. But that does look like a good method.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Construction Tips”