1/48 Revell/Eduard Roland C.II

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Softscience
Staring out the window

1/48 Revell/Eduard Roland C.II

Post by Softscience »

I present; as our own Lone Modeller would say, a real aircraft. Or aeroplane, rather.

I remember buying this kit in a hobby shop in Kenosha, Wisconsin while visiting my parents for Christmas of 2019 (or maybe it was 2018?). I worked on it a little when I got back to Maryland, but then set it aside, as I normally do. Then I lost some parts and so it went in the attic for a few years. About a month ago I found the missing parts and was able to get it over the finish line.

The model won't be winning me any awards, but I really wanted to finish it, as the last biplane I built was January of 2018. So it was more than past-due. The kit is a Revell rebox of the Eduard kit. Eduard's kit is from an earlier era, when they were still something of a short-run producer, and so some parts are a little clunky, and fit of components is not what we've grown used to, in the last two decades. Still, as far as biplanes go, this one is about as simple as things get. No cabane struts, and just to broad interplane struts means no wing alignment problems, and no 3-D chess games and need for six arms to get all the struts into the top wing. :-D

I painted my model to represent a machine built and camouflage at the LVG factory in late 1916/early 1917. I followed the paint guide on Wingnut Wings' website, but selected colors that looked pleasing to my eye, based loosely on what I've come to be used to from old books and profiles. I used Gunze's light blue, and 312 green, and Tamiya IJN green and red brown. The gunze colors were sprayed on, everything else was hand painted. A sprayed clear coat eliminated brush marks. The "noise" in the finish, is little paint particles that were in my brush when I sprayed the clear! :evil: :oops: Learn from my mistake and keep your tools clean, gentlemen! :shock: ;-)

All in all, a fun project, but Revell's decals are a little weird. They went down fine, but even minor handling causes sections of them to come slightly loose and sag. Must be poor adhesive, but they're very flexible, so they dont crack and flake. I've laid down several coats of decal fix to help them adhere, but I noticed in my photos that one of the tail crosses is now sagging. I wonder what these will look like in a few years?

Enough blabbering. Onto the pictures.

you've got to love a model that lets you put cute little curtains in the windows. :)
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 1/48 Revell/Eduard Roland C.II

Post by B4en »

A really excellent Roland there. 8-) Marvellous.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A good looking bipe type from the First World War. Nice colours too.

Nigel
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Shark mouths and eyes were quite common on this type which in German was called the Walfisch, (whale), and they really suit it.

You have done this model proud - an excellent model IMHO with a very interesting colour scheme.

What is there not to like in a real aeroplane?
stevehed
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by stevehed »

Very nice, lovely job.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Nicely done Ralph. ✔ 👏
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice, Ralph!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Fabtacular! I love the curtains.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Very nice Ralph. I also have the Revell boxing of that in my stash somewhere. I was intrigued by the box art and the black colour scheme and had to buy a tin of Revell #6 Tar Black especially, but yours looks great in that more colourful scheme.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a great looking Roland, Ralph and I can't say I've ever seen curtains painted on an aircraft before!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

beany wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 6:17 pm Very nice Ralph. I also have the Revell boxing of that in my stash somewhere. I was intrigued by the box art and the black colour scheme and had to buy a tin of Revell #6 Tar Black especially, but yours looks great in that more colourful scheme.
Black, you say? You must have a different boxing than mine. I imagine one of those would look great in black!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thank you all, for the encouraging kind words.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Softscience wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 2:18 am Black, you say? You must have a different boxing than mine. I imagine one of those would look great in black!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Oops, I'm hanging my head in shame Ralph as it is of course the 1/48 Albatross I have, not the Roland (but I'm still inspired to build it by you work here!).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

A great model to get back into biplanes with and a nice scheme.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

beany wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 12:47 pm
Softscience wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 2:18 am Black, you say? You must have a different boxing than mine. I imagine one of those would look great in black!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Oops, I'm hanging my head in shame Ralph as it is of course the 1/48 Albatross I have, not the Roland (but I'm still inspired to build it by you work here!).
Ah. Honest mistake. They both have that lenticular fuselage. I always thought the Roland looked a bit like an albatros with a growth hormone disorder.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”