What are you reading ?

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: What are you reading?

Post by AndrewR »

Softscience wrote:I sometimes feel like I'm the only modeler who doesn't read much about airplanes or war....
I read cookery books as well as history and science fiction :)

Current read: Massimo's One Pot Italian Cookery.
Up in the Great White North
Karaya
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Karaya »

The reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. Highly recommended if you like hard-core Sci-Fi. Be warned there are 3 books and each is 1000+ pages plus. Arms get tired pretty quickly trying to read in bed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reality_Dysfunction;
.....Sven W.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I picked this up for the flight home. So far I got through the first 2 chapters...
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Just finished Geoffrey Wellum's First Light - I hope the TV show makes it over here.

Am currently reading Graham Pitchfork's Shot Down and In the Drink, the story of WWII ASR; and Peter Le Cheminant's autobiography.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

PaulBradley wrote:Just finished Geoffrey Wellum's First Light - I hope the TV show makes it over here.

Am currently reading Graham Pitchfork's Shot Down and In the Drink, the story of WWII ASR; and Peter Le Cheminant's autobiography.
I've seen the TV show, but haven't been able to pick up the book yet. It's definately on my list, though.

I only ever read history if I am honest (apart from my traditional yearly read of the Lord of the Rings, which has just passed :grin: ) and at the minute am reading 'Rommel, the Desert Fox', which is obviously about Rommel - who I am obviously a fan of judging by my avatar :lol: It is an interesting read as it is written by Desmond Young, who was a British officer fighting against Rommel in Africa. He has done a great job tracking people down who knew him personally, or at least he has in the first half of the book!
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Desert_fox wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:Just finished Geoffrey Wellum's First Light - I hope the TV show makes it over here.

I've seen the TV show, but haven't been able to pick up the book yet. It's definately on my list, though.

I only ever read history if I am honest (apart from my traditional yearly read of the Lord of the Rings, which has just passed :grin: ) and at the minute am reading 'Rommel, the Desert Fox', which is obviously about Rommel - who I am obviously a fan of judging by my avatar :lol: It is an interesting read as it is written by Desmond Young, who was a British officer fighting against Rommel in Africa. He has done a great job tracking people down who knew him personally, or at least he has in the first half of the book!
Get "First Light", it's excellent. My father-in-law has it at his holiday cottage, so I usually re-read it every year when we go up there.
Chris

Post by Chris »

finally finished 'at dawn we slept'.

now reading pat bucanen's book caleld the 'unessesary war' about WWI and WWII.

Not a big fan of his but I have to read it for an article i'm writing.
T-21

Post by T-21 »

Waiting from Amazon "Mission To Berlin" by Robert Dorr about the USAAF B-17 attack on Berlin, 03 Feb 1945 and "Sweatin Out The Mission" a book about the Mighty Eighth ground support.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:I picked this up for the flight home. So far I got through the first 2 chapters...

any good?
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Softscience wrote:
Dirkpitt289 wrote:I picked this up for the flight home. So far I got through the first 2 chapters...

any good?
I haven't had a chance to read much more since I got home but its an easy read, and a gripping story from multiple points of view. I never knew of the hassels these guys went through to fight for what they believed in. I also can't believe how they were treated by the French when they were there to help them. I like it but need to have more time to really dive into it.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Softscience wrote:I sometimes feel like I'm the only modeler who doesn't read much about airplanes or war.
I don't usually read war biography's but this one jumped off the shelf at me. Right now I'm on a Robert B Barker kick.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Karaya wrote:The reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton. Highly recommended if you like hard-core Sci-Fi. Be warned there are 3 books and each is 1000+ pages plus. Arms get tired pretty quickly trying to read in bed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reality_Dysfunction;
Another thumbs up for the Kindle, LOL, no achy arms there, i'm thoroughly impressed with mine, got to say. As for the subject, not my thing and my wife has a habit of reading fanatasy trilogies in 15 parts, i get to hear all about them.
m1ks

Post by m1ks »

Fabulous book, the televised version was good but did have some omissions, inclduding the entire Malta chapters, the book is certainly better than the TV version.
If you're happy to stand the P&P I can send you a copy of the TV version on DVD, (I recorded it when it was on here)?
m1ks

Post by m1ks »

I'm currently reading quite a bit with the Kindle, at the moment i'm attacking Fahrenheit 451, it's been on my must read list for longer than I can recall but have only just gotten around to it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

m1ks wrote:

Fabulous book, the televised version was good but did have some omissions, inclduding the entire Malta chapters, the book is certainly better than the TV version.
If you're happy to stand the P&P I can send you a copy of the TV version on DVD, (I recorded it when it was on here)?
You have to be careful with that, DVDs recorded in the UK probably won't play in a North American player... :evil:

Return to “General Chat”