Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for all your encouragement guys.

The Flogger continues to progress despite the Canberra ;-)

The intakes are on and setting up.

Also visible in the picture are the wings showing the butchery surgery I performed to enable them to be fitted after painting.

I had hoped to have soon been in a position to start painting but, alas, my 0.2mm airbrush nozzle developed a split a couple of weeks ago and I've been let down by the shop I ordered a replacement from. They took my money and singularly failed to deliver at the promised time or, indeed, at all. I am less than amused and they know about it :evil:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More excellent looking progress on that Flogger, Daz and personally I always build VG types with the wings permanently fixed in position. VG types usually have a flexible seal along the wing slot that is normally an ugly gap if the wings are left "working" as intended by many model manufacturers whilst if they are fixed the modeller can at least make an attempt to replicate the seal. Hopefully the airbrush issue will be quickly sorted, I'd be lost without mine as nowadays I can't bring myself to going back to brush painting models.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Nice work Daz!
From inspiration of your butchery I'm going to be doing a similar thing on a Tornado I'm building for a friend.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Due to the fiasco made of the simple expedient of mail ordering a new airbrush nozzle from Element Games of Salford, my plans to push the Flogger towards paint within the last couple of weeks have been well and truly scuppered. Disappointing as I'd hoped to have it ready for Halifax next weekend :evil:

So, I went Migging away down a different path and built a weekend Mig. ;-)

It is, as I'm sure most of you will know, a KS-1 Komet anti-ship missile also known as the Kennel to NATO. These were built by Mig in the 1950's and the heritage from the Mig-15/17 is quite clear although the missile is scaled down a bit from the fighters. In 1/72nd scale the model measures a petite 110mm.

The kit is a resin item from Neomega that I picked up second-hand at the IPMS Belgium Nationals in Affligem back in 2017. It looks quite nice but has some issues with dimensions between the three fuselage sections (front, middle and tail) plus one of the wing fences was broken and missing so I made a new one from thin styrene strip. The stand is something I had in the spares store and started off as, IIRC, a 1/48th scale engine stand plus a leftover towbar from my 1/48th scale Snark. A bit of chopping and fettling and IMHO I think it looks quite convincing. The model was finished with Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo water based metallics (aluminium and chrome) while the jet pipe had a coat of Mr Color burnt iron and some detail from Darkstar molten metals. Finishing utilised a flory models wash with decals from the spares drawer all sealed in with some Future floor polish. And all done between Friday evening and now.

At least I'll have something new for the Soviet side of the display table 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's really neat! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

That is a very effective model and finish Daz.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Very, very cute.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's something a bit different for the CW tables, Daz, very nicely done.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Back in a past life, flying Vulcans, we would simulate Badger aircraft with 2 ‘Kennets’, the missiles were either Gnat T1s or F111’s. I also have recollections of flying the Canberra as the ‘missile’.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
celt

Post by celt »

Looks very Migish :razz: ,well tidy mun.
Regards
celt
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

That looks a neat little MiG Daz!
Nice work mate really looks good.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I know I'm late to the party, but I really like your -17 and -19 from a fee pages back. Lovely work.

I hope Airfix doesn't Biff the new -17, as it's high time there was a good new kit of the type.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

The Flogger is coming along great. I have never seen one of those Mig missiles. Fantastic finish on it.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thank you all for your kind words guys. It's more than this ten-thumbed plastic-mangler deserves.

Anyway, after airbrush hurdles overcome, the -23 has made some faltering steps forward. I had quite a bit of trouble with seams and filling, particularly the gap left by the shorter length fin. This was eventually resolved by resorting to gap-filling cyano glue and activator. It's smooth now and as hard as tank armour 8-)

At the moment, it's primed with Tamiya XF-23. No particular reason for XF-23 save that it's light, close to the underside colour and I had four jars of it in stock. Some thinned matt black was used for pre-shading.

The odd-sized canopy is the Zvesda item (which illustrates the dimensional differences between the two kits) and is just there to protect the cockpit interior. The actual canopy isn't masked yet although it has had some surgery to allow it to be posed in the open position; adjustments made necessary by the resin cockpit insert.

The wings and tailplanes are just popped in for the picture at the moment. This was always the intention for the wings but has been necessitated for the tailplanes by the proximity of the shiny metal tail section and exhaust, which is masked off in the picture. It's not ideal but the fit of the parts looks to be very good (thanks Hasegawa :) )

More updates soon.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's looking real good Daz. Will it be NMF or camouflaged?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Aviation Modelling”