AndrewR's Basement Lab

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: AndrewR's Basement Lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm not sure Toby, I always assumed that it was because it was small, light and had a high thrust/weight ratio. The aviation equivalent of the Mini Cooper :)

Other activity on the bench, which will be covered in detail on the Charity Build GB - two Airfix Spitfire Vb in 1/72, with US markings.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Exciting stuff today. NOT. The Spitfire parts got washed and rinsed, the belly tank and bombs on the Jug got resprayed and I made possibly the most boring display base in the world.

It's for a forthcoming build of this Matchbox Alphajet. It represents a smooth white floor in an exhibition hall. We had some self adhesive craft foam left from Halloween costume making :)

The Matchbox Alphajet was based on the pre-flight mock up, and there are quite a few differences to the operational versions.

In fact Matchbox changed the tooling, to try to address some, but not all, of these differences. The kit number PK-5 did not change though, so you have to spot the difference from the choice of decals.
The very early kits have two almost identical schemes, both red and white, one with German markings and the other with French. This kit is actually a pre-production sample kit which went out to potential customers.
This kit (early version) was the first kit that my younger brother made, so this is an exercise in nostalgia, once again.

I'm planning to build it with some Pavla resin ejection seats and a vac form canopy opened up. As it's a mock up, the instrumentation will also be mocked up. I hope to build some steps and a viewing platform at cockpit level. The idea being that is the mock-up being displayed indoors at some Trade Convention.
The Pavla bits have been ordered, so I won't be starting this in a hurry.

Cheers

Andrew
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Sounds like a cool project Andrew. I tried something similar years ago but with no am bits available and after making a complete sows ear out of the nose :oops: I gave up on it so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one goes.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Hi Andrew,

This sure is a coincidence! Over the weekend I too dug out the old MB Alpha Jet (original 1972 issue!)and thought I'll build it as the mockup, for my first build of 2014! I plan to do this OOB, and using only the mini paint plan. (A la P12e!)

You are right about the later PK-5 having changes, it's mainly to the fin tip, which is squarer, less raked, and has a small strake near the top. The later "Patrouille de France" boxing has the changed plastic. Another interesting change is that the colours on the sprues were reversed to match the new paint scheme. (Red wings being the original)
Hope you don't mind me landing these pics on your thread, Andrew! :grin:

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Looking good. Any decals or are you gong for the anonymous look?
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

@Asoka. Excellent, that shows the differences perfectly. :) And if anyone was going to have both versions in the stash, then it was bound to be you!

@Toby. There are a few decals, and I'll probably use the French version of the mock-up.

Cheers

Andrew
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Some 'trade show' figures on the base would help with atmosphere. Preiser probably have something suitable in their range.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Some 'trade show' figures on the base would help with atmosphere. Preiser probably have something suitable in their range.
I have a few civilian figures. Preiser sets are out of my budget range! If nothing else, a few techs in overalls setting up the display would do. :)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I can not remember for kit number but I build the German one in grey and green plastic. Great kit to build.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Marek

Post by Marek »

Andrew, I have not been around for a while to post anything but have to say your bench is a busy as always! Some cool projects going on. Good to be back and see the plethora of goodies produced on daily basis.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I like the Alphajet display idea - good thinking that man, there is life in the old Labrador yet :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:I like the Alphajet display idea - good thinking that man, there is life in the old Labrador yet :grin:
Got any scooby snacks? :ha:
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

AndrewR wrote:@Asoka. Excellent, that shows the differences perfectly. :) And if anyone was going to have both versions in the stash, then it was bound to be you!

@Toby. There are a few decals, and I'll probably use the French version of the mock-up.

Cheers

Andrew
Fer shore! :-D

Started on mine too, will post the piccies soon... (enjoying a nice head cold right now...)

Cheers!
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The underside got a spray of white in a few places, after a bit of sanding. The back half of the Shrikes got the same treatment.

Things have slowed down a lot, the new teaching schedule is eating into modelling time, particularly early in the week :cry:

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Decals on the port side, apart from the nose.
Xtradecal national insignia, everything else is home made.

I tried to put the red danger flashes around the intakes from the ESCI set, but they disintegrated in the water. :evil: So I tried the ancient Airfix ones from the kit and they disintegrated too. :roll:

I also stuck the canopy back on, after a little sculpting of the edges, to encourage it to sit better.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Workbench Window”