Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by Flute »

.........and in the true spirit of displacement activity, I've pulled one off the shelf of doom and am near done with it.

Choroszy Modelbud Caudron G 3, which I halted when I couldn't get the booms to fit. Going through old boxes last week I tried it just for the extreme laughs, and can't for the life of me see what the problem was. Since I took this photo I've added the tailplane, drilled, painted, added control horns and other wise prepared the rudders, fins and tailplane, added the struts that support the top wing overhang, and started rigging the booms. Should be a weeks worth of rigging, and fettling the wheels (which will be PE spoked jobbies).

What I can't fix is the paint job, at this late stage - painted it CDL, and now read the instructions closer, which call for a grey colour, although I think that's probably also wrong. The only thing that distinguishes this from other late build French C 3s would be the serial, so I'm looking through lot of photos to see if I can find one that approximates any of my spare deals, or might be possible to paint, bearing in mind the serials were painted on the nacelles (and thus now very hard to reach) and sometimes on one side of each fin. Perhaps I won't lose any sleep over it.

The 1/48th Harrier T.4 has the light aircraft grey and dark sea grey on. Just waiting the obligatory week for that to cure enough to mask for the dark green.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by The Great Auk »

What a treat to see you once again at it, Mr Flute and building yet another key aircraft from the Great War.

I've always liked the Caudron and I say, gray shmay, that clear doped linen looks fantastic with the French markings and wooden parts!

Watching with awe and interest,

The Great Auk
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The Cauldron looks a challenge in 1/72 and resin with those spindly tail booms.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Your work is always inspiring Mr. Flute.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Flute

Post by Flute »

Thanks again peoples. James, I've relaced all the struts, mostly with Contrail/Aroclub stock, and the not strut bits of the booms are square section plastic rod, bent up at the ends for the lower skids. A few of the smaller struts are bits of brass Strutz, which I'd have used throughout except that my stock is both tiny and dwindling. Just finishing up the rigging now (just 14 more wires to go, yay), and 2 more control horns for the rudders. Then wheels (non-trivial task), footstep and prop, and I think it'll be done bar paint touchups.

Paul.
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

That's coming along quite well! I bet you felt a sense of accomplishment once those tail feathers were on.

The wood color is very convincing. And speaking of colorful, those rudder stripes are a treat as well.

Thank you I enjoyed your update, Mr Flute.

The Great Auk
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Caudron is coming along very nicely Paul. Not one for my fudging fingers however :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Loving the Caudron; some very nice work on show 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Flute

Post by Flute »

Finished it. Another back-of-caser though. Looks okay next to the Roseplane C.3 though.

TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

‘Back of case’, surely not? That looks a great result.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

That delicate work needs to be shown off!
Gorgeous result!

David
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I agree with Tony - that should not be in the back of your case. Anyone who can put one of these things together and rig it deserves to have it displayed in a prominent place.

The Kingfishers are not half bad either - but they could be placed in the second row behind the Caudron.
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy indeed Mr Flute.
Regards
celt
Flute

Post by Flute »

Thanks for the nice comments, but back of the cabinet it is. It won't stand moving very often anyway. I have 2 more partially completed boomers I'll post here if I manage to actually build the booms adequately.

Meanwhile.....................finished Kinetic's lovely 1/48th Harrier trainer, as a T.4. Enjoyable kit, slightly dodgy instructions.

Cracking on with the old Airfix 1/24th Harrier now. This would have been done months ago if I hadn't decided to use both a Flightpath detail set and some ex Heritage Aviation resin intakes with the dropped doors. These stand 3mm proud of the fuselage all around and I'm getting severely un-calm sanding away, not least because I'll have to rescribe the doors that remain closed, because far too much resin has to go to keep them. I'd gotten halfway through opening the doors on the kit parts and wish I'd persevered. Still, I'll know better for the next one. No photos at this stage because it ain't a pretty sight. Wings and fin/rudder on, anyway, although this being a 30 odd year old boxing the plastic has gone very brittle and resistant to polysterene cement, so every now and then I need to redo a seam with CA and clean it up again.

Paul.
celt

Post by celt »

Good evening Mr Flute,I have just built the Airfix 1/24 Harrier OOB and I can very much agree with you on the plastic being very brittle,I ended up using quite a bit of super glue.Well tidy 1/48 Harrier by the way.
Regards
celt

Return to “Workbench Window”