Re: Man Caves

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Modeller Caves

Post by Clashcityrocker »

It looks like a showroom. Very nice.

Nigel
Barry

Post by Barry »

wokka wrote:You've got more space for your models than we have as a family. Think I need to rethink.
It's about 15x15 wokka. (feet, not meters) ;-)
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
wokka

Post by wokka »

Your photos make it look a lot larger, still a nice space to have and I like the way you display them
It's only pain, work through it.
DGD
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by DGD »

Just upgraded my workspace. We have a 12ftx12ft cabin in the Garden which we got around 14 years ago when the kids were in their teens. Its been a play den, drinking den, sleep over room, guest room, permanent bedroom, classroom and home office in that time. Its now my cave. I was using it to get started back in kit making and once I got hooked again decided to upgrade it and make it what I want. I don't have the kits to exhibit yet so focus was on workspace and storage.

Before

After

Derek
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks like a great place to hang out in :grin:

Nigel
wokka

Post by wokka »

That looks bigger than some peoples homes. A great space.
It's only pain, work through it.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not jealous, nope, not one bit......OKAY, EXTREMELY JEALOUS!!!!! :lol: :lol: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Markh_75

Re: Man Caves

Post by Markh_75 »

ShaunW wrote:I got bored masking up the windows on my Bonanza so I thought I'd give you a quick tour of my mancave. Coming into the entrance as you can see the first thing to fall over is the hardtop from my car (a 2001 MGF VVC for any carophiles). This only goes onto the car for a few weeks in winter and will shortly be moving to the garage in its storage bag as I've had a clear up in there. The top of the tub you can see at the bottom of this pic is an old sweet container that is full of plastic and brass rod etc.

The roof is leaning on fitted wardrobes that were in there when we bought the house back in 2001. The left hand side lower cuboard is full of central heating tank and above it is mainly my old junk. In the right upper is most of my stash as you can see further below. There are also boxes behind. The lower cupboard has my bass gear and instruments.

Moving around the room, the next bunch of stuff to fall over is my practice amp and my Laney valve guitar amp (needs fixing) together with foot pumps (only the yellow one works!), cable reel (gets used for garden tools and amplifiers) an old light of Mrs W's (no I don't know why it's there either) and some bits from my parent's house which was sold last year following the death of my mother in 2010 (the old boy went in 2002). Then on to my Ikea cabinets that I assembled and fitted in about 2005. A bit more stash lives in the top left cabinet and a bit more in the lower right. As you can see, models reside on the rest of the outer cabinet shelves, grouped roughly by scale. The left hand cabinet has mostly AFV's and some really old junk that should go. Books, old guitar effects pedals and other sundry junk fills the centre (there is no Rescue Launch in the box BTW, just some of my spare parts stash).

And finally coming full circle, we get to the bench. I could say something like "this is where the magic happens" but I can't...because it doesn't :grin:

I've gotta have a tidy up, not shown is the rubbish down the far side of the bench which means I can't open the right hand Ikea cabinet without moving stuff first.

I want one of those floating magnifiers for my bench! Wonder where i can get one?
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Blimey, Mark, you must have done a bit of trawling to dig this shot up :ha: The room is a lot more tidy now, I hasten to add, although the MG's roof still resides in there. I've had that combination lamp/magnifier since the 1990's and it was bought from a dealer at the IPMS Nationals when the show was held at Donington in the East Midlands. Alas, I can't remember the dealer's name now. The only thing I can think of these days is to try Google and type in something like "magnifying lamps".
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That old cabin still looks great. What a super space.
So many models, so little time.
Nerazzurri4
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Nerazzurri4 »

DGD wrote: July 20th, 2020, 1:10 am Just upgraded my workspace. We have a 12ftx12ft cabin in the Garden which we got around 14 years ago when the kids were in their teens. Its been a play den, drinking den, sleep over room, guest room, permanent bedroom, classroom and home office in that time. Its now my cave. I was using it to get started back in kit making and once I got hooked again decided to upgrade it and make it what I want. I don't have the kits to exhibit yet so focus was on workspace and storage.

Before
Thats super impressive. Maybe one day.........
Hope you're all enjoying your builds. Regards, Gavin.

On the bench: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 'Export' A06106
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

This is my Mav Cave or Insomnia Corner that I sit at every night from around midnight till around 4am.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I need to add some newer photos. Two sheds. Modelling and workshop.

So many models, so little time.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

After a long delay, I finally finished decorating and rearranging the loft / model area.
I've even started learning guitar again, so I have it set up as well.

New bench with storage underneath.

More storage and display case.

Not a lot of headroom when standing but suits me perfectly.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Wow! 😯
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”