Just joined

vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Just joined

Post by vacant »

Since Brews put my vacform models on this site, I decided that the time had come to register. I have been on the ATF site for several years under the username Gerry, though as Brews noted, that is not my real name. I went a complete blank when thinking of a user name for this forum until after staring at my vacform builds, an ant sized glimmer of inspiration struck. (By the way, many thanks for the positive coments about the vacforms which vary in age from 4 weeks old to 40 years old).

I live on the eastern edge of Bristol (UK), quite close to Keynsham, spelt K,E,Y,N,S,H,A,M (which I mention for the benefit of elderly UK residents who react to the name like Pavlov's dogs for reasons that are too lengthy to explain). I am not, however, a bachelor (a link that would also require explaining). I am officially retired, though I still dabble occasionally in earning a living.

I have been building models for about 55 years, mostly 1/72 aircraft. I am starting to get the hang of it, just as I am running out of space. I buy and build, mostly leaving out the intermediate stashing phase so loved by fellow modellers. I could put my total stash in a plastic shopping bag. Like most modellers, I have several running themes for what I build, but I'm happy to have a go at pretty much any kind of aircraft in 1/72, especially if the markings and paint scheme appeals to me. Restoring an old model, building a vacform kit or making a Frog (or Frogski) kit look decent are some of my specialities. I have never used an air brush (and it shows) and I really must stop stretching sprue for rigging. Aftermarket PE and resin bits are largely alien concepts to my builds. I suppose that I am an 'old school' or more charitably, a retro-builder.

I tend to write too much, so I will stop.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Just joined

Post by jssel »

You have some terrific builds. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here. It is a right friendly bunch.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard !
Those models are certainly nice and I love the way you have posed them over scenery.
I have many of those 'tween war kits, but unstarted - I'm hoping you can do one of your builds "on-line" so I canpick up some tips.

And don't worry about writing too much, the more the merrier here.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Writing plenty gives us lots to read...and some of us actually enjoy reading!
I'm yet to fully embrace the art of making your own kits, before you actually make the model, but I am somewhat inspired by your lovely examples.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Welcome!”