Other Hobbies

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Re: Other Hobbies

Post by fireblade »

Go birding they said, it won't cost much they said. Several years and few thousand pounds later (binoculars, scopes, camera gear, travelling), I'm utterly besotted.

Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice pics Paul.

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Beautiful pics, especially the bird of prey. I call it that because I'm rubbish at identifying non metal birds!! :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Indeed those are great bird shots. I recognise most of what comes into our garden, birds such as Robins, Blackbirds, various finches, Woodpigeons (keep orf my grass seed or the air rifle is coming out :twisted: ), etc, but haven't much of a clue about the more esoteric birds you have featured here.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Awesome shots!
Number three is a Red Kite I suspect; we get a lot of them over Milton Keynes nowadays which is great to see
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great pics. I admit I know very little about our feathered friends. Not much more than. "That's a budgie" to "That's not a budgie" to be honest :lol: Joking aside I do know a few of the more common spicies like Pigeons. Wagtails. Kestrels and a few others. But I do know these are great shots.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by fireblade »

Thanks all for the kind comments. I should have captioned the pics, for those that are interested the first pic is of avocets, next one down is a wheatear. These were both taken at an Essex Wildlife Trust reserve at North Fambridge. After that a red kite, pictured at Bwlch Nant yr Arian - that's not far from Aberystwyth and well worth a visit if you're out that way. They feed the kites in the middle of the day and usually a couple of hundred turn up. I saw my first red kite in Essex the other day, they've been sighted before, but it was the first for me. Bottom shot is of one of my favourite waders, a curlew, taken at Fingringhoe Wick near Colchester. If you were in the army you might be familiar with Fingringhoe! Here's a shot of the kites arriving to get their dinner:

Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Reawakening this thread from its 5 year slumber (because, hey, we all love talking about our hobbies :mrgreen: ) I need to bang on about my latest acquisition.

I've been playing more regularly just for fun (for years I only played in church but very little outside that) and to expand my options a little I picked up a Telecaster. It's only a Squier, not a proper Fender, but that's because in my hands you'd never hear the difference between a $300 guitar and a $3000 guitar. In terms of electrics anyway. My acoustic is a Cole Clark because that is what I mostly play and there it matters.

So far having fun exploring the different sounds I can get out of it compared to my Les Paul (again, just an Epiphone and not a Gibson).

I also love the butterscotch yellow finish.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I enjoy canoeing and sea kayaking. Various bushcraft excursions . When I’m backpacking my load out will contain a couple of modeling mags.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

This is my other hobby. 1966 Triumph Herald 1200 convertible.

Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Who doesn't love a Herald droptop?

I looked back through this thread and realised I have never replied to it. :shock:

I enjoy photography, writing, reading, and collecting various things. All very boring and nothing out of the ordinary! :-D
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

My other torture hobby.

The front suspension had to come out for welding repairs. Now I have to reassemble it and fit it back into the car.

David
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

jssel wrote: November 29th, 2023, 8:38 pmWhen I’m backpacking my load out will contain a couple of modeling mags.
Priorities :mrgreen:
Andy Dighton wrote: November 29th, 2023, 9:15 pm This is my other hobby. 1966 Triumph Herald 1200 convertible.
That is an absolute stunner! It's hard to beat 1960s British drop tops.
DavidWomby wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:44 pm
The front suspension had to come out for welding repairs. Now I have to reassemble it and fit it back into the car.
Fun times. Suspension bolts tend to be next level tight in my experience. I just bought a spare set of rear leaves to have reset to be 3" lower so I can remove the (illegal) lowering blocks :oops:
My car recognition maxes out from 1970 - 1980 but before that I'm not so great. What is that marvellous machine?
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

VickersVandal wrote: November 30th, 2023, 12:15 am
DavidWomby wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:44 pm
Fun times. Suspension bolts tend to be next level tight in my experience. I just bought a spare set of rear leaves to have reset to be 3" lower so I can remove the (illegal) lowering blocks :oops:
My car recognition maxes out from 1970 - 1980 but before that I'm not so great. What is that marvellous machine?
You got that right about the disassembly. Off and on it took 5 weeks,lots of penetrating fluids, an impact wrench, a propane torch and much bad language.

It's a 1963 Bristol 408.

David
PS the previous owner fitted those mats. I planned getting rid of them but they 've grown on me and will be staying.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Cool mats!

Return to “General Chat”