Jim's Italeri AH-64 Sea Apache and a Saraf *Finished*

Our 3rd helicopter GB .... odd for a Forum that favors airplanes that actually fly and not those gangly objects that must instead be flown ....
Runs October 15th to November 30th.
GB Leader is ShaunW

Which Sea Apache for me?

Poll ended at October 14th, 2012, 9:46 am

First Proposal
11%
Third Proposal
89%

Total votes: 9

Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Jim's Italeri AH-64 Sea Apache and a Saraf

Post by Jagewa »

ShaunW wrote:Oooh, I've never had parts of a model named in my honour Jim and I see that, like my good self, they are small yet perfectly formed :ha:
I hope you don't get sworn at as much as these 'Shauns' have been, and I hope you don't keep dropping to floor as often either :ha:....
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Ooo a red letter day, managed to sneak an afternoon session in, as the kids schools have a teacher only and have left off the "Dad I'm bored" for a while, Canterbury anniversary day tomorrow so chances are high that I can sneak another session in then too, I have a blind spot that covers the weeds in the vegie garden...... :lol:

The Saraf, got it's 'Shauns'..
I went with a large gauge wire at the rear, as they looked bigger to me.

smaller copper at the front.

So both at the frame colour stage and primer..

Cheers
Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, that pair are looking great now Jim - crafty use of different guage wire eh? I hadn't noticed any difference in the handles front and rear so you gain some additional observation points there then. I haven't fallen to the floor for quite a while, I tend to stay on weaker beers now :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I can't help thinking that the Sea Apache looks much more elegant than any of the land versions - much sleeker, without all those little boxes and sticking out bits!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

ShaunW wrote:..crafty use of different guage wire eh? I hadn't noticed any difference in the handles front and rear so you gain some additional observation points there then.
Ahh good chance I'm mistaken with the size of wires, I've got the rear of the sponsons the wrong shape.. even though I've got this photo as my PC wallpaper:
staring me in the face :roll: so I think I'm a few million points down there :lol:
AndrewR wrote:I can't help thinking that the Sea Apache looks much more elegant than any of the land versions - much sleeker, without all those little boxes and sticking out bits!
I know, it looks much sleeker, not as warty or nasty as the land Apaches.. though it really looks prototypish, with out any lumps or bumps.

Quick spray session before the morning beans and eggs...
they have both hit the prime time :ha:

I'm really liking that sand colour, very appealing.

Following Andrew's sage advice on the Vallejo primers, I'll leave them for 24 hours before dealing to any boogers or bodges.. so hopefully get the harpoon, fuel tanks, and the cannon sorted...

Cheers
Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Morning beans and eggs? man, these time zones - I'm off to the pub in half an hour :ha: You'll be telling me it's late spring next Jim instead of most of the way through autumn :ha:

They're both looking good though and, it has to be said, far in advance of my effort which this week has been badly stalled because of work pressures :evil: Those vents on the rear of the sponsons in your pic of the full-size are staring at me, nooooooooo I must resist the temptation.......

IPMS#12300
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

ShaunW wrote:Morning beans and eggs? man, these time zones - I'm off to the pub in half an hour :ha: You'll be telling me it's late spring next Jim instead of most of the way through autumn :ha:
Not only that it's Friday here! Mind you it's not much of a spring here, a bit cool for November, no chance to get the mankini out yet :ha:
ShaunW wrote:Those vents on the rear of the sponsons in your pic of the full-size are staring at me, nooooooooo I must resist the temptation.......
In some lights they look obvious others they don't, I think that angle you're looking straight into them. I'm going to try to do some decals for them, I reckon a close black grid pattern might give the effect, could over-spray it to tone it down.

Cheers
Jim
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

If you look at my build Shaun, you won't see a trace of those vents. Dark vents on a dark background? Nah! :-D

I got the winter tyres on the car on Monday. We had a few flakes of snow when I picked the car up from the garage... :shock:

I really like having the option of priming in different colours with those Vallejo primers. That sand colour is very handy if you need to spray yellow on top. And following your sage advice, Jim, I picked up some Vallejo plastic putty. How long do you leave that stuff to dry/cure?

Cheers

Andrew
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

AndrewR wrote:I really like having the option of priming in different colours with those Vallejo primers. That sand colour is very handy if you need to spray yellow on top.
And thanks to you for pointing us at that Vallejo Primer, I was considering I may have to get more colours this morning. I was wondering if there is a pink for undercoating for yellow...
AndrewR wrote:I picked up some Vallejo plastic putty. How long do you leave that stuff to dry/cure?
I've not noticed how it takes to cure/dry completely, (most fillers I leave overnight) it seems to firm up quite quickly in small amounts, it seems to end up nice and hard, whenit is fully cured/dry. But I haven't used it for large areas.

I really got it for using around canopies, as I like the water clean up. I put it on, leave for a little while, and wipe a damp cotton bud over it. If it hasn't firmed up enough, I've found it tends to wipe out of the gap...

I wax and wane between Tamiya Basic and CA for most of my general filling, with an occasional use of Correction fluid. For filling and blending canopies, I've wanted something not likely to affect the canopy. I've used milliput, but I'm too lazy to mix it up, for a small filling job. The Vallejo seems to be the front runner at the moment, that nice fine nozzle, will probably make it my 'goto' filler for small seams etc..

Be good to hear how you find it Andrew.

Cheers
Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I thought of using some plain black decal to represent the vents, otherwise I'll use the Andrew approach :grin:

When it comes to fillers, I'm a cheapskate and use ready mixed Pollyfilla fine surface filler, which comes in what looks like an oversized toothpaste tube and is really aimed at household DIY tasks. I've used it for years and found it to give a decent enough finish for my not-too-discerning tastes :grin:

IPMS#12300
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Interesting about the polyfilla Shaun, it doesn't dry too porous then? I remember using normal polyfilla, when I was a lad, (the local bookshop that had paints and models, but never had anything as advanced as filler).

I tried the Vallejo on some a large shallow seam and some sink marks on the tanks, but it doesn't seam to get a good grip on it, ,aybe didn't leave it long enough, need to try some more with it.

Brekkie work today, was making some Harpoon fins..
slightly blast eyed, but they'll do.

Frewen's softball this morning, and hopefully get the drop tanks finned up later..

Cheers
Jim
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:I thought of using some plain black decal to represent the vents, otherwise I'll use the Andrew approach :grin:

When it comes to fillers, I'm a cheapskate and use ready mixed Pollyfilla fine surface filler, which comes in what looks like an oversized toothpaste tube and is really aimed at household DIY tasks. I've used it for years and found it to give a decent enough finish for my not-too-discerning tastes :grin:
I often use Elmer's wood filler, for the same reasons Shaun. although as it's water soluble, it makes washing the model before painting a bit tricky. It does mean you can wipe off excess with a damp cloth or cotton bud though. I wanted the Vallejo to give a finer grained finish.

On this build I've been using CA and talc, which sands down more easily than pure CA.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Jagewa wrote:Interesting about the polyfilla Shaun, it doesn't dry too porous then? I remember using normal polyfilla, when I was a lad, (the local bookshop that had paints and models, but never had anything as advanced as filler).
I haven't used polyfilla on a plastic model but have used it quite successfully to smooth out any depressions in the hulls of paper ship models...if anything, it's not porosity that the problem but that it dries very smooth and so can be quite hard to get anything to stick to it - not really a problem with paper ships as there is s till a final layer of paper to go over the top with the hull details and colours...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I have used regular Pollyfilla in the past but found it to be a bit rough and ready for modelling whereas the fine surface stuff is easier to sand to a much smoother finish. I'm talking about very small gaps here and for larger gaps I will use sprue or shims of plastic card as the principle gap filler followed by a touch of Pollyfilla to finish off. For instance on the Apache there was a nasty join line on the fuselage spine that I've "filled" with some stretched sprue and which may require fine surface filler to finish it off. Milliput or Squadron Green Stuff are my other preferred fillers (although I haven't used either for quite some time) and, it has to be said, I think they do sand better on larger gaps. You pays your money and you takes your choice :grin:

Missiles look good to me Jim!

IPMS#12300
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Interesting stuff, about the filler.

Some colour on tonight..
Sea Apache
The light grey, is I think Tamiya medium grey, that I lightened with some white, the blue/green grey is Tamiya Ocean grey with some blue and a mixed up green I had added to it. I wanted to give it a real aquatic feel.
Mask up and paint the radome next airbrush session.

The fiery snake...
The brown is based on a mix for a Space Shuttle External tank colour, that I added some Tamiya Brown to it..
I ummed and ahhed about how to do the scheme, even started masking with blue tack worms, but gave it up and freehanded it.
I'll tidy up some of the edges with the sand next air blowing session, and mask up for the light/blue/grey underside colour..

Cheers
Jim

Return to “Whirlibirds III”