Random Vandalism

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Random Vandalism

Post by ShaunW »

That's a good looking mancave, VV and our Brisfit is coming along very nicely. The car looks to be rather a large scale, it certainly wouldn't fit in any of my display cabinets, which kit is it? :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Lone Modeller »

Great to see another WW1 type being built. I know of the UV glue but have never tried it: must change that on a future scratch build.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

ShaunW wrote:That's a good looking mancave, VV and our Brisfit is coming along very nicely. The car looks to be rather a large scale, it certainly wouldn't fit in any of my display cabinets, which kit is it? :ha:
It's a vintage kit, released in the late 1970s by Toyota; the KE55. It's quite detailed with lots of moving parts and everything! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lone Modeller wrote:Great to see another WW1 type being built. I know of the UV glue but have never tried it: must change that on a future scratch build.
The UV glue is definitely worth trying. Not particularly strong, but inrcedibly convenient. So far it's making rigging a far smoother process.

If I finish the Bristol soon enough, I might attempt a resin Maurice Farman XI that I have in the stash :shock:
The glue gives me greater confidence that I could get it to go together and look like an aeroplane (not that the MF.XI itself does look much like one - more like a pile of sticks thrown at a bathtub....)
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I think that you might find the MF XI a bit more challenging than the Sopwiths, but it would make a more interesting model IMHO. Those early aircraft with all of their struts and wires and other assorted bits hanging off have always fascinated and attracted me - which is why I am so odd I suppose!!? Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

The Airfix Brisfit was one of the first 3 Airfix kits I built. Before the days of polystyrene glue or model paint where I was!
What a mess that was.

David
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I can imagine, David! The Roden build is much more complex to get right with the lower wing attachment, but it's a tricky aircraft in any kit. I have the Airfix too, which I was planning to build as an AFC aircraft from Palestine. Eventually....
Lone Modeller wrote:I think that you might find the MF XI a bit more challenging than the Sopwiths
Oh yes indeed, no doubt about that! Resin in general is a challenge, then add to that the complexity of the tail booms and general strut work. This glue gives me more confidence that I can get it right because it makes it much easier to set things in place.

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

It's been some time since I was at the bench proper, then I got a mojo kickstarter with a Matchbox Lysander I picked up at the local model club annual kit auction. I took it away on vacation last week and made pretty decent progress. The limitation is now, as is so often the case, preparing and printing custom decals. The box scheme was brown/green camo so clearly that Was Not On.

I also realised that the next model club meeting theme is the "Enter the Dragon" made or operated in China theme. This got me to pull the finger out with the CNAC Hawk IIIa which was a DNF from a 2016 GB. I also started on a Dewoitine D.510 (Heller) so that I can hopefully display them both at the meet. I'd love to finish my Chiang Kai Shek Curtiss BT-32 Condor (vacform GB DNF) but that's not too realistic....

Getting the top wing on the Hawk was an epic challenge! Three types of glue (cement, super and UV-curing) and I managed it in the end. Just.
Not a job for the faint-hearted.

The Bristol Fighter is still in progress but I hit a roadblock with it and had to take a break. It's due to be finished by the end of the year, so I'll return to it after the model club display.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see some action on your bench again, VV and with some interesting builds. That Hawk sounds like it made you work - from the type of glues that it laughed in the face of I'm wondering what the kit is made of, resin or plastic?

IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Good to see you modelling again VV: some interesting subjects here. Looking forward to seeing the Brisfit when you get around to that.
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Everything you've got on the go is near and dear to my heart.

It cheers me greatly to see you back at the bench!

The Great Auk
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thankee kindly, sirs. It's good to have motivation again.

Shaun, its an injected kit but there are no locating holes for the struts. Pure butt joint.....and thus a pain in it! I apply cement first for the primary bond, then a bit of ca for added strength then the UV glue around it to keep it firmly in place while that all sets. It worked really well!

The Great Auk wrote:Everything you've got on the go is near and dear to my heart.

It cheers me greatly to see you back at the bench!

The Great Auk
I aim to please :D XD

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Ningbo Special is finished and now sitting with its comrades. I will put up more photos in a thread soon.

The D510 is cracking along:

New printer is a vast improvement over previous and is Bringing The Happy :-D

Should be all done for tomorrow's club display :grin:

The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Now that's some Chinese Air Force you've got going on there!

They're all fantastic and the finish on that Tupolev SB is especially nice.

The Great Auk
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thanks, Auk :) Appreciate the kind words. I am my own worst critic, of course. The Katiuska was a bit of a soul-destroyer of a build but it came out ok in the end. I was going to post a link to photos of it for you but discovered that they're all gone (yay photobucket! :roll: :roll: ). I need to take new photos and update my CNAC thread: https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=11591;
I'll do it all in one go once I finish these two.

I just discovered there is a proper Ardpol resin kit of the CNAC Curtiss Condor so I'm tossing up whether to get that for a more straightforward build and then use my vacform kit for a different (Biggles) project.

There's also a P-36 Hawk (Hawk 75) to build at some stage, then I think that exhausts my stock of Sino-Japanese War aircraft

The D.510 is nearly done. Another hour and it should be good to go. Decals went on like a dream :grin:

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Hawk turned out nicely, VV and that is a great collection of types in Chinese markings you have there.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”