Blitzbau XII -- Rules, Sign-up, and Chat

UAMF's signature event:
Runs February 1st to March 3rd.
GB Leader is Jssel.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Blitzbau XII -- Rules, Sign-up, and Chat

Post by jssel »

The Fall. Never heard them. Anything in this blitz with them?
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

Blitzbau XII - The Rise of The Fall

Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Flak's picture is of Mark E Smith. He is the singer and frontman in THE FALL.

They're from Manchester you know.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel

Post by jssel »

For a minute there I thought that was a picture of Mark E. Smith of The Fall. Naw..........not here.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

jssel wrote:For a minute there I thought that was a picture of Mark E. Smith of The Fall. Naw..........not here.
THE FALL? on here? you've got to be kidding. I've tried all ways to persuade participants to play some.......

IPMS#12300
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I'm cancelling my two other blitzes. Completely lost the modelling flow and not having fun at all. Will finish the Spit but I am pretty sure I've had my blitzes this month.
Strange, I was full in and loved every minute of it. This came so sudden, earlier this week.
Sorry if I disappoint you guys, it feels bad having to withdraw.
But there's so many great builds that's been and I'm sure many more coming up.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a shame Sissel, but I have to admit I will only be doing one more, if at all - it depends on the pressures of work next week but I'm hoping to take next Friday off. You've done very well though and your build threads are great fun :grin:

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Sissel, we are not disappointed. We all know about the 'modelling juices' and their ebb and flow.
If don't feel like it, don't do it. Simple.
Just remember that are not letting anyone down by not building.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Good to know :grin:
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
jssel

Post by jssel »

You should be very proud. The Blitzbau bug has truly bitten.
Heinkel51
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Heinkel51 »

Well our attempt to start on Friday failed miserably. However a rumage through the stash I've decided on the 1913 Ford Fire truck - need something different from aircraft.Time to create the thread.
2012 - Completed 4; 2013 - Completed 3; 2014- Completed 8; 2015 - Completed 8 (so far)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Prisca wrote:I'm cancelling my two other blitzes. Completely lost the modelling flow and not having fun at all. Will finish the Spit but I am pretty sure I've had my blitzes this month.
Strange, I was full in and loved every minute of it. This came so sudden, earlier this week.
Sorry if I disappoint you guys, it feels bad having to withdraw.
But there's so many great builds that's been and I'm sure many more coming up.
Not a problem and don't feel bad ... you've done more than your share and it is all supposed to be fun, not a chore.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

10 builds in.. and seeing as how the Blitzbau is meant to be a learning experience, here are 10 things I've learned.

1) Wheels up is the way to go. Provided you have a stand handy, of course. And unless you're one of those weirdos who prefers painting wheels to painting pilots. Which brings us to

2) Always name your pilots/crew and give them a back-story. Take an interest in their hopes and dreams and, indeed, love lives (see Arado Build). At worst it gives you someone to talk to when you're waiting for paint to dry in the middle of the night.

3) Time flies when you're having fun. And it absolutely goes supersonic late in a build,when you're not having any fun, trying to juggle recalcitrant parts while avoiding that paint that isn't quite touchdry, a tube of CA gripped in your teeth and that vital part you should have installed several stages ago about to reveal itself.

4) Tamiya Tape can smell fear. If you're masking a canopy late in the build, with one shot to get it right, then be prepared for so much bleed that you'll think you've masked the wrong parts. Do it early on with loads of time to rectify mistakes and it just sulks and does its job.

5) Ian's concept of Beans On Toast may differ radically from what you or I are used to. That's just how he rolls.

6) Drying times vary. Hu86 out of a rattlecan takes almost as long to dry as normal enamel paint. (The first coat of Hu86 enamel laid down by Neanderthal Modeller is only now touchdry) Hu65 enamel dries reasonably quickly and it's going to be on the underside so who cares anyway. If you've been dumb enough to start a build that requires White, Red or Yellow and you haven't laid in some acrylics.. :roll: well.. you're in my thoughts.

7)Flakmonkey eventually caves to peer pressure. There will be sackings, bannings and threats, but he'll cave.

8) Old, worn-out, famously duff kits make for good Blitzes because even if you make an absolute load of Dingoes' Kidneys of it, you've got a ready-made excuse. "Man, this moulding is so clapped out! And the flash.. so much flash.. and don't get me started on the seam lines.. I wish I had shares in Milliput.. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.. etc"

9) For Blitzing purposes you should avoid Biplanes, Triplanes and Helicopters; Ships, Submarines and Spacecraft; Armoured Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Figures; 1/144 (too small and fiddly), 1/100 (just because), 1/96 (because it will likely be a really bad Revell kit), 1/72 (because you might pick up an Amodel by mistake),1/35 (because TRACKS!! AAAHH!) and 1/48 (because you'll just mess it up). In fact the only model you should Blitz is a Floatplane in 1/32. Preferably made by Revell.

10) You can never have too many Spitfires.

Playing this one out, The Fall who you never get to hear in Blitzbaus

Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
jssel

Post by jssel »

Very interesting. Well, in three days time I will crank up the "wayback" machine so stand by to stand by, there might be a maybe.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

OK Chaps, and chap-ess (Hi Sissel) My better half is having a girlie night in at a friends house tomorrow, This means I may get three or four hours pure model time once the drains on my resources - I mean children - are in bed.
I'm looking through my stash tomorrow as I have changed my mind about the Hurricane.
On another note on the night before the Huddersfield show whilst Iain (ejsnotgrass) and another modelling buddy were at my house I picked up a totally un-started Hobbyboss ME109G and started tinkering with it. Cutting the tale short two and a half hours later it was completed. A certain idiot (yes me) didn't take any pictures at all as I just intended starting the build for something to do whilst we chatted. Ho well. I'll post a pic of the beast some time soon. And to cap it off the same idiot forgot to take it to the Huddersfield show too. Double dummy or what?.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Blitzbau XII, Feb 2013”