Daily Pic (it can be more than one)....

Things that fly
uavdb
Active Participant

Re: Daily Pic (it can be more than one)....

Post by uavdb »

Stationed at Davis-Monthan.

uavdb (Dave)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, Dave, you've got to laugh at that. Although I think re-shaping the nose and adding a bit more shading in the panel lines would have made for a more accurate example :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by wokka »

:ha:
It's only pain, work through it.
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

wokka wrote::ha:
ShaunW wrote:Nice one, Dave, you've got to laugh at that. Although I think re-shaping the nose and adding a bit more shading in the panel lines would have made for a more accurate example :ha:
...LOL!
uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

uavdb (Dave)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think I've seen a picture of that aircraft before but can't remember any details now. Looking at it through modern eyes that thing looks dangerous just sitting there on the hard stand. Someone must have thought the circular wing design was a good idea and maybe it did have some virtues, but you've got to hand it to those pioneers of flight - there were no computer predictions as to how something may or may not have worked, most of the time it was a case of jump in, take off and see!

IPMS#12300
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

ShaunW wrote:I think I've seen a picture of that aircraft before but can't remember any details now. Looking at it through modern eyes that thing looks dangerous just sitting there on the hard stand. Someone must have thought the circular wing design was a good idea and maybe it did have some virtues, but you've got to hand it to those pioneers of flight - there were no computer predictions as to how something may or may not have worked, most of the time it was a case of jump in, take off and see!
It does look scary, but it apparently flew well enough....more info:

uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Mowing the lawn...

uavdb (Dave)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting info regarding the Parachute Plane, Dave, seems it worked better than it looked!

That Mossie is seriously low and that is some flying - that said though I would imagine an accidental nudge forward on the yoke (don't sneeze, skipper!) and the crew would be pushing up the daisies rather than mowing them!

IPMS#12300
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

ShaunW wrote:Interesting info regarding the Parachute Plane, Dave, seems it worked better than it looked!

That Mossie is seriously low and that is some flying - that said though I would imagine an accidental nudge forward on the yoke (don't sneeze, skipper!) and the crew would be pushing up the daisies rather than mowing them!
I think there were a lot of interesting strange planes being experimented with back then. Obviously this is only one of them that never caught on!

The Mosquito was such an awesome machine. Luckily there are some returned to flying status! My favorite movie was "633 Squadron" (Mosquito's!!!) with Cliff Robertson, even with the cheesy models on strings filmed trying to bomb the heavy fuel manufacturing plant!
uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

From the "Boneyard Tour" at DMAFB August 2018. Here is a WB-57 (Gregers take note!). Any pics taken must be from inside of the bus as unfortunately, there is no getting out and wandering around to get up close. The Air Force doesn't like free-range civilians with cameras roaming around!

uavdb (Dave)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That's a beauty. Thanks for showing us that one. I missed seeing the NASA one when it came over here. Pity you can't get up close though but from what I have read somme of the local wildlife is non too friendly so maybe thats for the best.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The high altitude WB-57 is an interesting type that's for sure, Dave and it's great to see one. Looking in the background are those enormous transport aircraft in the background, making the F-4 parked alongside look like a toy, C-5's or C-141's? I'm guessing the former but I'm not 100% sure.

IPMS#12300
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Gregers wrote:That's a beauty. Thanks for showing us that one. I missed seeing the NASA one when it came over here. Pity you can't get up close though but from what I have read somme of the local wildlife is non too friendly so maybe thats for the best.

All the best

Greg

Greg, there is another WB-57 at the Pima A&S museum but it is in an area that is off limits to visitors. It is in a very large fenced lot where there is a big hangar where they refurbish and get a/c ready for display and that entire area is fenced off. I could just make out the NASA on the vertical tail. Don't know how long it will be there...might be years before it gets its turn to go on display.
uavdb (Dave)
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

ShaunW wrote:The high altitude WB-57 is an interesting type that's for sure, Dave and it's great to see one. Looking in the background are those enormous transport aircraft in the background, making the F-4 parked alongside look like a toy, C-5's or C-141's? I'm guessing the former but I'm not 100% sure.

Shaun, those are indeed C-5's. The number of aircraft there is mind boggling. Row after row of C-130's, C-141's, T-34's, T-38's, F-15's, P-3's, F-18's, B-1's, KC-135's, T-37's and more....I'm going to start uploading some pics in this thread. Some might make interesting modelling subjects!
uavdb (Dave)

Return to “Aviation Hangar”