How to paint WW2 German green / red disruptive camouflage in

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

How to paint WW2 German green / red disruptive camouflage in

Post by LarryH57 »

I have returned to modelling after many years and I am starting to build some German WW2 armour kits.

I'm OK with painting a base coat of 'sand' and wheathering but now I want to bit the bullet and start doing camo colours in green or red brown or both on some kits - but without an airbrush.

Can anyone suggest a method and show examples of how this is best achieved on a budget?
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How to paint WW2 German green / red disruptive camouflag

Post by Ratch »

The disruptive camouflage was added ad hoc in the field. Some tanks had a compressor and spray gun but for most it would be applied with a brush, a broom or an old rag :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

It seems that in 1/72 scale that the camo patterns that I have appied look too false; a bit like a giant has painted a real tank with a giant brush, when in fact I want to do something that looks in scale.

Perhaps I should use lighter colours for scale effect as to date the green camo looks too harsh.

Any tips greatfully received
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I'm no expert mate, but I'd say start with the base colour, then mix that colour with a bit of white and re-apply, repeating several times with more white but thinning the paint each time to get a faded/ weathered look. Another method I've used is chalk (not oil) pastel dust, scrubbed on with a brush after rubbing it on some sandpaper or a file to get the powder. Again, repeated application will probably be required. At least try it - if you don't like the results then just move on to the next suggestion - nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?!

This was my first attempt at a tank - I usually stick to things with wings. The weathering is all done with the chalk pastel method. Hobby Craft do a nice pastel sets of greys and browns for example for a few quid each.

Hope that helps a little but.
cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Thats great

My Airfix Panzer IV looks similar in 1/76 but I'm working on a Sd KFz 250 in 1/72 and wanted to do a camo scheme for it. Perhaps an ear bud will do as a brush for the green. I'll try

Return to “Finishing Tips”