How about a future Rhino build? Revised attempt New poll

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Which month would you prefer for a summer F-4 build?

Poll ended at March 19th, 2013, 4:04 am

1. June
56%
2. July
22%
3. August
22%

Total votes: 9

MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How about a future Rhino build? Revised attempt New pol

Post by MDT »

Chuck Finley wrote:
lancfan wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:
There is a regional IPMS show this weekend in Atlanta where they usually have a good vendor turnout. I'll be on the lookout for a Fujimi F-4M. You never know what gems one might find at a show. Are there any coming to your area in the near future?
Chuck, There is plenty of time to find one but Kingkit aren't listing anything at the moment (don't fancy the old Frog offering) as a last resort there is always ebay but I would rather deal direct with a vendor rather than filling paypal coffers, getting to shows is a problem and I usually buy by mail order. I won't commit until I find the model, There are plenty of J79 versions available new at present but the Spey-engined UK versions are the only ones that appeal and nobody seems to make these now.

David.
I just took a peek at Hobbylink Japan and they have a Fujimi Phantom FG1 still available.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ27044

Limited reissue of the Fujimi 1/72-scale Phantom FG.1 kit with decals to mark it as any of three Spey-engined FG.1s: XT864/007/R of No. 892 Sq. Royal Navy in "Silver Jubilee" mrkings; XV571/A of No. 43 Sq. RAF; or XT863/G of No. 111 Sq. RAF. See box art for marking details.
I'd highly recommend HLJ - That very same FG.1 kit turned up at my door yesterday only after about a week and a half. I'd get it while you can at those prices!
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

I have an F-4E in my Israeli Air Force stash crying out to be built, I voted for July to ease my build congestion, but could stretch to June to meet the preferred month.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

This would be the perfect excuse to buy the new Academy 1/48 F-4B. June would be good.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

MDT wrote: I'd highly recommend HLJ - That very same FG.1 kit turned up at my door yesterday only after about a week and a half. I'd get it while you can at those prices!
The last time I purchased anything hobby related from overseas the customs picked it out and massively hiked the cost in exise fees- won't go down that road and will wait to find something within the UK.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have a number of Phantom kit, and, were i to join, I would prefer August.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

We just had our Region 3 IPMS show on Marietta, Georgia and my wallet is definitely lighter as a result. Particularly as the result of one Fujimi Phantom FGR2 in 1/72 scale.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MDT

Post by MDT »

lancfan wrote:
MDT wrote: I'd highly recommend HLJ - That very same FG.1 kit turned up at my door yesterday only after about a week and a half. I'd get it while you can at those prices!
The last time I purchased anything hobby related from overseas the customs picked it out and massively hiked the cost in exise fees- won't go down that road and will wait to find something within the UK.

David.
Fair enough if you had problems previously but even with the risk of excise-duty (highly unlikely on a single kit…), you would be paying a fair bit less than the ridiculous Ebay prices for Fujimi Spey Phantoms.
I'm really surprised at Airfix for not repsonding to the obvious market for Spey F-4s! These Fujimi kits are lovely but they are old.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Out of curiosity, how was the Matchbox Phantom? Did the famous trench digger do a tour on that kit?
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

As I remember it wasn't that bad, it was deeply engraved but not exessively so- the nose radome was slightly too blunt and the cockpit was fairly sparse and the engine exhausts were simply formed but all in all if you can find one it should scrub up quite nicely with a little TLC. Of course owning the tool for this kit does give Revell a good opportunity to introduce the only current spey Phantom kit onto the market if they so wished.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

lancfan wrote:As I remember it wasn't that bad, it was deeply engraved but not exessively so- the nose radome was slightly too blunt and the cockpit was fairly sparse and the engine exhausts were simply formed but all in all if you can find one it should scrub up quite nicely with a little TLC. Of course owning the tool for this kit does give Revell a good opportunity to introduce the only current spey Phantom kit onto the market if they so wished.

David.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just stick to the three Fujimi Spey Phantoms (F-4M, F-4K, and Phantom FGR Mk.2) sitting in my stash. That said, I had one other question. Are there any major physical difference (shape) between a Sparrow and SkyFlash?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Chuck Finley wrote:Out of curiosity, how was the Matchbox Phantom? Did the famous trench digger do a tour on that kit?
I built it years back and it is quite good, still have another one in the stash to be done in RN colours. If you like I can post a pic of the built kit and do an inbox review?
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

The Matchbox one scrubs up quite well. Here's a part built one from a few years ago that I really ought to finish. Decals are aftermarket.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

While setting aside s couple of Rhinos for the group build, the following question came to mind: Is it possible to convert a Sparrow into a reasonable facsimile of a Skyflash AAM? If so, what would be required?

Thanks

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”