Can you remember when your first builds were?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Can you remember when your first builds were?

Post by gomergizmo »

Got a picture of the kit in the box today.

Nice plane vacant.
Professor Polarbear
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This was my first kit. I recently got to revisit this kit about 6 months ago right after Revell /Monogram re-released it. It was a fun trip/ build down memory lane for me.

The other two kits I (My dad) built was an F-4 Phantom which I clearly remember painting myself. The top camo came out good as I recall but after about 12 coats of white I could still see the plastic.

Lastly was this.

I would like to revisit this one as well as I've seen it on Evilbay from time to time. Its just that right now I'm not willing to pay the current rate for it. Maybe someday....
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Mimi looks like a monster.
Professor Polarbear
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Don't remember my first but it was probably a 72nd scale Revell WWII single engine fighter as I do remember several of those.

I watched my Dad build some planes when I was 5 and built my first on my own when I was 6 (so, late 66, early 67). Been building ever since. Funnily, don't remember Dad doing any more once I was on my own.

Had a ton of dogfights going on the bedroom ceiling. Remember the Revell 72nd B-24 as one of them. My Dad had cut some red construction paper in flame shapes and with a little black crayon we had an aircraft under attack (probably from a 48th scale Aurora Me-109). My Mom decided one day they were getting too dusty so she brought in the canister vacuum while I was at school. Those of you who have built this you know how well the wing doesn't fit. Yep, one of the wings separated and down it came. My Mom was so upset on how I would react but I don't think I was.

Most of my kits faded during one of our many moves (Dad was Air Force). So some were given to friends, some didn't survive the moves and I had one box of built models, I think a lot of the Tom Daniels Monogram cars, that never showed up after one move.

Would love to find some of our old Christmas and birthday pics to see what I got when.
RyanW655
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by RyanW655 »

A Revell 1/72 Atlantic when I was about 8 years old. Me and my dad built it as I had no idea at the time.
Its be hanging from my bedroom roof for the last 8 years or so :)
I'am more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.

My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYtLeF ... nKiwwg71Bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris

Post by Chris »

I FINALLY found a picture of my first kit, Ballon Buster!

At times I thought it might be a figment of my imagination since nobody else seems to remember it!
Honcho of ASMMF
philp

Post by philp »

Chris wrote:I FINALLY found a picture of my first kit, Ballon Buster!

At times I thought it might be a figment of my imagination since nobody else seems to remember it!
I was just looking at this kit on ebay along with the Death of the Red Baron set (which I had). It came with the Camel, Fokker and a trench scene with Aussie troops.
fredk

Post by fredk »

7years 10 months; mostly me, an Airfix Bloodhound kit. Helped by one of my older sisters' boyfriends whilst he built a Scammel Tank transporter and a Centurion tank.
8 years old; birthday, Airfix Wildcat aeroplane. First kit with no help. Airfix 1911 Rolls Royce, on the same day. Both painted and done properly. I received quite a few Airfix paints with them.
Remember those glass bottles?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

The Airfix Stalingrad German set, which I have recreated for this years CBK display for Telford.
Here it is now!
http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=6811;
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

Professor Polarbear
Chris

Post by Chris »

Your welcome Dan.
Honcho of ASMMF
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

The first one was the Airfix Hawker Hurricane in 1973 when I was seven, and also the first one I built myself. Not that I built it very well; I pretty much slapped it together in one afternoon and it eventually disappeared. I think the dog ate it. The next few were a hodgepodge of more Airfix (HMS Iron Duke), Revell (USS Lexington, which I still have believe it or not) which my dad built mostly, Monogram's B-58 Hustler and Aurora (Bismarck and that cool Joseph Stalin Tank in 48th scale) and the Tomy HO scale M42 Duster. After that it was a freefall. Strangely enough, even though my friends who were into modelbuilding have pretty much either lost all their old kits and/or stopped building altogether, I have plowed on regardless, except for a brief time at University where beer, punk rock and girls were far more important. I am happy to say that I have more or less managed to juggle all these interests with middling success. Nasty addiction, this plastic stuff.......
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Nice to put a face to your name!
When are you going to build the B-58? Or will it be sitting on the shelf of admiration for a while? :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
gomergizmo

Post by gomergizmo »

When are you going to build the B-58? Or will it be sitting on the shelf of admiration for a while?
Should be soon. Had a major catastrophe the other day. The CH113 was being loaded in the car to take to the surgeon and a slight gust of wind blew it away. It landed on the ground in pieces. Have 6 months to fix it though.
Professor Polarbear
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi,
A pair of Blue-tits Miss-Stang?, you have to watch that cold weather!!!! :ha: . For me it was a Matchbox Sea Harrier FRS.1. Thought in my nine year old mind (I think, which would have been 81-82 time), that it would be easier to build, and quicker too, if the parts were already cut from the sprues before construction! :oops: . As you may have already guessed I did complete it but spent the build comparing parts to the instructions. Lesson learned early on!!. Had the model for years until I decided around 2000 to replace it as it looked a bit old and tired. Couldn't find a Sea Harrier at the time to my shock and annoyance. Then I found the Hasegawa one, but bought ten Matchbox Shar's for £2 each a year later. Still have seven of them but not built.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Small Talk”