Airfix Herrick kits...are they selling well?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Airfix Herrick kits...are they selling well?

Post by Softscience »

This question is to those of you with a finger on the pulse of Airfix sales (Ratch et al.).

Has Airfix seen a good return on their Operation Herrick kits of the Jackal, Landrover, Snatch and Merlin?

In the last few days, my interest in 1/48 AFVs has been growing strongly again (it's been at a low since 2009), and I'm just curious if Airfix's releases had been a flash in the pan like UM's, ICM's and Italeri's forays into 1/48 armor. Or have the kits done well enough that more 1/48 AFVs may be forthcoming from Airfix?

It wuold be really nice for Tamiya to have a solid competitor in this niche market.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Airfix Herrick kits...are they selling well?

Post by Ian »

I'm tempted by them. Very tempted....
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I would really like to add these subjects to my collection but they are the wrong scale for me- I would want 1/76 scale versions to interest me, perhaps they could try releasing one as a trial?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I like 1/48th and If I could find them I would buy them. Help me Hannant's, you're my only hope.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

My LMS told me they thought it was a bad move as Tamiya had pretty much stopped their 1/48 line after poor sales - I don't know if that is true or not. The Herrick sets tie in nicely with the Lynx and Merlin helicopters and make a nice little mini collection in itself. The Herrick operation though is very here and now and unless there is unfortunately another conflict in which these vehicles get deployed I wonder if there is a much of long term future for them in the catalogue. I'm sure Airfix have worked out what they need to sell to recoup their outlay.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
spitfire1677
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by spitfire1677 »

lancfan wrote:but they are the wrong scale for me- I would want 1/76 scale versions
Wrong scale for me too...though I would like 1/35 ;-)

Regards
Chris
Regards

Chris
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

JamesPerrin wrote:My LMS told me they thought it was a bad move as Tamiya had pretty much stopped their 1/48 line after poor sales - I don't know if that is true or not. The Herrick sets tie in nicely with the Lynx and Merlin helicopters and make a nice little mini collection in itself. The Herrick operation though is very here and now and unless there is unfortunately another conflict in which these vehicles get deployed I wonder if there is a much of long term future for them in the catalogue. I'm sure Airfix have worked out what they need to sell to recoup their outlay.

Tamiya have slowed their 1/48 production, but hardly stopped in. Back in 2005-2007 they flooded the marker with their 48th line. They were releasing about one kit per month. Since then they have slowed to maybe two to three kits a year.

I don't think they sell as well as they could, but they keep coming.

I hope Airfix keeps at it with their line, as Tamiya does not seem interested in releasing modern armor in 1/48. I think Airfix could become a real powerhouse in that particular part of the market if they follow up their dune buggy AFVs with something like a Challanger, Abrams, or Stryker.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All...

I think they need Taliban fighters to go with them to make a reasonable set, Too much skewed toward 'Our' forces and Incredibly expensive, including the Buildings. I think the only Modern 'Arab' sets Ive seen are in 35th. apart from the Airfix Bedouins, of course... ;)
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Expensive? Airfix?

Have you seen the cost of AFV kits these days?
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I've also been put off them by their scale...if they had (also) been released in 1/72(ish) or 1/35, I probably would have snapped them up but, for me, they don't just fit into my 1/48 modelling...a bit of an Arthur and Martha decision by Airfix...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

They are not too hot sales wise, we still have them on the shelves at work. Heric is still an ongoing operation and our troops are still fighting and dying so it is still 'too close to home' for some. Different scale and a couple of years after Heric ends maybe but not yet.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'd like to see them expand the range to include vehicles we can use in WWII airfield dioramas. Scaling up the new Bomber Command set would be a good start.

A Fighter Command 1940 set could include a NAAFI van, squadron dispersal hut, chairs and tables and trolley accs, as an example.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

ok so we have them to go with the lynx and Merlin.... when are we getting a 1/48 Apache Mr Airfix?

I've been mulling over these kits, I'm not sure if I fancy having a crack at these kits or not, I think I would if I had a Merlin to go with it.

Fair dues to Airfix for having a crack at them though, they're good kits by all accounts.

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

Sir T wrote:.... when are we getting a 1/48 Apache Mr Airfix?
In 1983, kit number 07101 :ha:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Sir T wrote:ok so we have them to go with the lynx and Merlin.... when are we getting a 1/48 Apache Mr Airfix?

I've been mulling over these kits, I'm not sure if I fancy having a crack at these kits or not, I think I would if I had a Merlin to go with it.

Fair dues to Airfix for having a crack at them though, they're good kits by all accounts.

Regards

Stuart

Yeah, I just hope they're not a one-off sort of thing like 1/48 afvs seemed to be for Italeri, ICM, UM and Bronco. I suppose if they turn a profit, Airfix may produce more.

Return to “Small Talk”