Sign-Up and Chat

A Matchbox kit GB in tribute to Ted Taylor who passed away on July 29th.
GB runs from August 15th through September 30th.
GBL: Martin R, and others.

Please join us as we honor this fine gentleman, modeller, and icon of Classic British Kit history.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Sign-Up and Chat

Post by Stuart »

Ok all here's an MB question for you,

I spent some time with my 9 year old yesterday trying to build a revell vampire (she likes them) and it ended up a completly futile exercise because its such an awful kit I ended up making it which wasn't really the point as I wanted her to do it.

Anyway I was thinking that I should really get her an MB kit, low parts count, fits well and if she doesn't want to paint it it'll still look good.

So can anyone recommend a good kit for a 9 year old? That fits well and is realtivly simple?

I was going to buy two, so we can build them at the same time and I can show her what to do.

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Alpha Jet!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Sir T wrote:Ok all here's an MB question for you,

I spent some time with my 9 year old yesterday trying to build a revell vampire (she likes them) and it ended up a completly futile exercise because its such an awful kit I ended up making it which wasn't really the point as I wanted her to do it.

Anyway I was thinking that I should really get her an MB kit, low parts count, fits well and if she doesn't want to paint it it'll still look good.

So can anyone recommend a good kit for a 9 year old? That fits well and is realtivly simple?

I was going to buy two, so we can build them at the same time and I can show her what to do.

Regards

Stuart
Stuart,

I'm sorry to hear that. I've built the Revell Vampire and I thought that it was a nice kit with a good fit (although with the twin booms, admittedly a bit fiddly). Hey ho.

Anyway, in answer to your question, if you are thinking planes, I would have thought that most of the MB single engined non-biplane kits would have fitted the bill quite well: eg Zero, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Tempest, F-86, G-91, Bf109, FW190, F4U-4, Hellcat, etc. Most of us grew up on them, they are nicely coloured and go together quite well.

regards,

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'd second what Martin has recommended - Robin made a few of those when she was into modeling.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the tips guys, I may well try the F-86 or Fiat as she like jets...maybe the Alpha Jet even.

Regards

Stuart

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

The Sabre is another good one. I built a naked one for the Maurice Landi build (pic in the 'previous' builds)
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Ian wrote:The Sabre is another good one. I built a naked one for the Maurice Landi build (pic in the 'previous' builds)
Thanks Ian - Nice build!

Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Hi Martin,

Sorry for barging in late in the show, but being a self confessed Matchbox addict I guess I should honour a fellow modeler and join in! :) So with your kind permission will build something Matchboxey... :???:

Any suggestions? :-D

With regard to Stuarts question, I will agree with Ian and recommend the Alpha Jet, as the colours on it are nearly perfect even naked, and the jets are simpler than the props. Come to think of it, maybe I'll join in with a naked Alpha Jet myself! :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Look at all those Matchboxes!
I'm very jealous......
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Asoka wrote:Hi Martin,

Sorry for barging in late in the show, but being a self confessed Matchbox addict I guess I should honour a fellow modeler and join in! :) So with your kind permission will build something Matchboxey... :???:

With regard to Stuarts question, I will agree with Ian and recommend the Alpha Jet, as the colours on it are nearly perfect even naked, and the jets are simpler than the props. Come to think of it, maybe I'll join in with a naked Alpha Jet myself! :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
That is a nice selection of matchbox kits you have there Asoka.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, what a great selection of MB goodies Asoka. Suggestions from me would be either the MiG-21, Mirage or Strikemaster.

Why not do a poll if you are undecided?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Asoka wrote:Hi Martin,

Cheers,

Asoka
Asoka,

Apologies!!! I didn't spot your post until tonight. Welcome and feel free to join in. As to what you should build, any 3 should be fine :lol:

<Edit> As regards build suggestions, I'd like to see one or more of: Zero, Bf109E, Buffalo, Mirage or Skyhawk but you do what you want!
regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, folks, by my simple maths we're halfway through the GB. We've got many starters, 7 finishers so far (great effort, chaps!), and planes, cars and AFVs on the go in a variety of scales (kudos to Flute and Beany for attempting the 1/32nd behemoths); there's also a nice buzz about the GB and it's been a pleasure to be involved so far. I hope you're all enjoying it as much as I am.

BTW, anyone finishing a Flower Class corvette in the remaining time will get many many bonus points from me. :grin:

regards,

Martin
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the nice comments on my Matchbox collection, it's (nearly) the entire purple range, and in order! :-D (At least PK-1 to Pk38) Hope it gave a bit of nostalgic thrill to all MB addicts... :grin:

I am mightily hobbled with work at home and office these days, so will join in with a naked model, either the Alpha jet, or a Boeing P12, as these look the most realistic unpainted. Your choice gents! :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

BOEING!!! :bounce:
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Return to “Ted Taylor Tribute Matchbox II GB”