Feanors Mighty Works...

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Feanors Mighty Works...

Post by Stuart »

I have that bag of stands too - nice work on the Mossie!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Andy Dighton wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:21 pm The Mossie is certainly starting look the part.
Thanks Andy.
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Stuart wrote: March 18th, 2024, 8:24 pm I have that bag of stands too - nice work on the Mossie!
Thanks Stuart.

Can’t wait to use a few more of them !
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

H-bomb wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:38 pm That old tool scrubs up well with some effort, looking good😎
Cheers Howard
Thanks Howard. She sure does.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All…

Well, I decided to put her bomb racks and bombs on, and also shimmed the stand slot. She’s a little straighter and sits reasonably level, but may need another strip inside- and for me to leave it to go really solid before messing with it.

As I put her down I accidentally caught the aerial wire fix point on the tail somehow and broke that off after being so so careful around it and the machine guns in the nose, and snapped the aerial at a stupid point as well in the box, so I’ll have to scratch one of those too.

I don’t think I’ve a spare in my boxes, as it’s been so long since I’ve built something like this. Tomorrow once free, I’ll also klear, mask, fit, and hopefully get to paint the frame interior green of the canopy, and get it all Ready for its main base colour, as I think I need to sand a few areas of the mr. Surfacer on the fuselage.

Until tomorrow…

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Really like that - a great bit of classic plastic!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Stuart wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:41 pm Really like that - a great bit of classic plastic!
Ayup Stu,

Thanks again mate. Much appreciated.
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by B4en »

Well done Feanor, the Mossie is looking great. Sometimes persistence does pay off.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

B4en wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:02 am Well done Feanor, the Mossie is looking great. Sometimes persistence does pay off.
Ayup B4en,

Thanks and indeed it does. I’m sure I can get the paint right. And then decals.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All,

RL has gotten in the way somewhat since my last post. But today I managed to Klear the canopy, and replaced the missing aerial wire post on the tail with some evergreen rod. I’ll just have to blend it into the tail a little better, and taper it when I’ve got time. And then make a fuselage aerial mast proper. Then once the Canopy is masked, it can be fitted to the frame and painted. I’ve masked everything like the prop blades and rear wheel with maskol so I can go straight for the light sea grey. Here’s to a good day tomorrow and I can get on with it.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All…

Well, after three and a bit hours I won’t get back again, the Mosquitos canopy is finally masked and fitted, alongside the aerial wire tie that I broke off again of course. Fixed with PVA and ready for some topcoat grey tomorrow. Props are masked with maskol, which is transparent after 48 hrs curing. The canopy may look skew-whiff, but I assure you it’s lined up perfectly with the seam along the fuselage.

feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All…

I finally got the interior green on the Mosquito canopy, so I’m all ready for the Light grey base. I also went over the ‘shiny’ bits from the mr Surfacer. With the excess paint in my cup (waste not want not !) But I have a few bits I need to sand down yet. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some coarse flexi-files at the hanslope show I’ll be displaying at so I can get this done. I think it’s looking quite good. I was wondering how to get the ‘oily’ look the real thing has. So have been looking at archive pictures of it. Well, I’m up early tomorrow for a full day across the table, so until Monday or so. And If you’re near Milton Keynes tomorrow, why not drop in ?

feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All…

Whilst prepping for and selecting display subjects for the hanslope show tomorrow, I suddenly had a Wizard wheeze, considering what I was taking, that I hadn’t had my ‘Angels’ out in such a long time. They are of course the Spectrum Angels from Captain Scarlet. This display is based on the episode ‘Seek and destroy’ where Captain Black tries to kill Destiny Angel, (and the others if he could no doubt) and nicks an Interceptor to take them all on.

At the time I pinched One of my then unused Airfix multistands whuch was availiable to me, and I made all five at the same time, vowing once finished, never to do so again, even singly, as I did extra scratchbuilding to them which was time consuming. They all have black box (?) resin interiors and Angels in them, and yes, one’s missing its broken canopy. Unfortunately I couldn’t find one of my two spare interceptors in my stash to replace it, so I think destiny is about to eject, LOL. I do have as well an alternative companion to take Capt. Blacks place, but not anywhere as heinous. It’s an Airfix FGA.9 American ‘Blue Angel’ Hawker Hunter. And very nice she looks too when in formation. I think It’s the kind of thing the Angels would have done in the real world !

Back in the day when it was first finished, my Lovely Late friend Mike McEvoy saw the joke immediately and loved it as soon as he saw it. Being a member of the ‘What if’ SIG. So the Hunter may just formate again as well tomorrow as it’s stored with the Angels. And even my rubbish camera photography show off how stunning the Interceptor design looks ! I hope you think so too.

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Wow! Amazing display.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Andy Dighton
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Andy Dighton »

Love the Angels display.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975

Return to “Workbench Window”