The Matchbox Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

MerlinJones

The Matchbox Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Post by MerlinJones »

Paid a visit to a LMS today, whose proprietor is into smaller scale ('N' guage) railways, to ask his advice and to see if he'd be interested in a collaboration.
He told me that european 'n' guage is expensive stuff and suppliers are rare.
He told me that it would have to be a french or German loco, circa 1942 and that these are unheard of, generally.
(Train buffs would apparently spot any discrepancies and be most disturbed! :shock: )

On the possibility of a collaboration, I was told that train modellers tend to be solo artists and are incapable of spontaneity, requiring much planning. When I suggested that we had until November, that was too short a notice!

There were 3 others in the shop, who turned out to be railway enthusiasts as well and they corroborated what I'd been told.

I'm thinking it'll be easier to build my own rolling stock, using lengths of balsa.

That said, I'm now looking for non-rolling loco's on eBay.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: The Matchbox Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, with 'N' that P-47 pilot would be havving an exciting ride through the yards not over them ...
Or do as I will with my targets, cut them from the scene and re-attach, with a stick or something behind, to give a 3-D appearance ....

I've got this kit pulled out to build comparatively with the Airfix & FROG ones, but the project keeps slipping ... I watch yours instead.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

OK, now you've got me interested as a railway buff! Bruce, you could try eBay searches for "N Gauge Spares/Repairs" for cheaper rolling stock to use in a static scene - just had a quick look and there were some coaches on there you may be able to utilise, even if you used British Mk.Is but painted them to look foreign, and you could always re-list them again on Ebay afterwards to re-coup some of your outlay. Loco wise - the Del Prado partworks type collection had some nice foreign looking steam locos, they go for about go for about £8-£12 on eBay. They would just need cutting off of the display plinths they come mounted on. Again, paint any big loco black with red wheels and it will look German! All my stuff is OO gauge so can't offer anything directly else I'd be up for a collaboration on this one.

HTH
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks Al...you surprise me. Apparently, railway buffs don't collaborate! ;-)

I've checked ebay for bodies. From the artwork, I only need one loco and tender...something fairly long. I can always add plasticard for the sheilds and colours appear to be shades of grey.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”