Shaun's Ghostly Gunfighter *DNF*

Covering the Vietnam War from March 65 until March 73, any kit, any scale, any subject, any country.
Runs 1-31 October.
Your host & GBL is ShaunW.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Shaun's Ghostly Gunfighter

Post by ShaunW »

Chris wrote:that kit needs a new tooling badly.
My thoughts exactly Chris. As I said earlier in the build, IMHO the F-4 is one of the most important military aircraft of the latter part of the 20th Century and it would be great news if Airfix decided to bring out a new tool. I know that there are far better F-4 kits in other manufacturer's ranges, but I think Airfix are missing an opportunity and I'm sure it would sell well - certainly I would buy the kit!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chris »

Most F4 kits that are highly reguarded are japanese kits which get more and more expensive.

Revell still uses the old Monogram molds, and while good have raised not recessed surface detail.

Airfix could make a killing if they came out with a F4 that was priced along the same lines as their new tool BF 110.

But I would sugest they not go for a five in one boxing, but instead make three accurate kits, the F4C, F4E and the British version.
Honcho of ASMMF
Taurusboy

Post by Taurusboy »

Looking the business Shaun
especially after your episode
with the irish putty!
Pete.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Chris wrote:Most F4 kits that are highly reguarded are japanese kits which get more and more expensive.

Revell still uses the old Monogram molds, and while good have raised not recessed surface detail.

Airfix could make a killing if they came out with a F4 that was priced along the same lines as their new tool BF 110.

But I would sugest they not go for a five in one boxing, but instead make three accurate kits, the F4C, F4E and the British version.
Yes, I agree, separate accurate kits would be preferable to a jack of all trades five in one boxing as there are too many differences between the versions, longer nose on the E and deeper rear fuselage on the British versions to name but two. It really would be great to see new tooled versions of this classic aircraft in the Airfix range.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Taurusboy wrote:Looking the business Shaun
especially after your episode
with the irish putty!
Pete.
Hiya Pete, many thanks. The sanding continues and this model is looking set to take over from last year's Airfix Apache helicopter as the most filled and sanded model in my collection!

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Chris wrote:that kit needs a new tooling badly.
Certainly does. I reckon they'll do a British Spey-engined variant, but it must be high on their list of popular subjects that needs retooling.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Chris wrote:Revell still uses the old Monogram molds, and while good have raised not recessed surface detail.
It's been ages since I saw a Revell F-4C of F-4J, didn't know they were still in production. What I do see, however, is loads of F-4F and RF-4E kits, usually in Luftwaffe special markings, and those kits are state of the art, more than a match for the Japanese kits of the same subjects. Given the difference in price, I think their F plus whatever aftermarket parts needed to turn it into an E might actually be cheaper than a Hasegawa...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

rob_van_riel wrote:
Chris wrote:Revell still uses the old Monogram molds, and while good have raised not recessed surface detail.
It's been ages since I saw a Revell F-4C of F-4J, didn't know they were still in production. What I do see, however, is loads of F-4F and RF-4E kits, usually in Luftwaffe special markings, and those kits are state of the art, more than a match for the Japanese kits of the same subjects. Given the difference in price, I think their F plus whatever aftermarket parts needed to turn it into an E might actually be cheaper than a Hasegawa...
I'm quite a fan of Revell products, generally they turn out decent kits at very reasonable prices. I also very much like Hasegawa but, like many modellers, the prices these days put me off. It seems a bit of a no brainer to me that Airfix should exploit this gap in the market and I think they would be able to turn a good profit.

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

rob_van_riel wrote: Given the difference in price, I think their F plus whatever aftermarket parts needed to turn it into an E might actually be cheaper than a Hasegawa...
The F is essentially an E with limited capability...I think that most differences are internal so this should be easy enough...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

SJPONeill wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote: Given the difference in price, I think their F plus whatever aftermarket parts needed to turn it into an E might actually be cheaper than a Hasegawa...
The F is essentially an E with limited capability...I think that most differences are internal so this should be easy enough...
The F model originally started life as a single-seat project designated F-4E(F) which was chosen by the West German Luftwaffe. In the event, the single-seater was never produced and the Luftwaffe selected the standard two-seat F-4 instead with their version being designated F-4F and it was, in effect, a lighter weight version of the late model F-4E. Apparently some 3300lbs was shaved from the weight by deleting the boundary layer control system, leading edge flaps, Sparrow III installation, No 7 fuselage fuel tank and in-flight refuelling system, although the aircraft was fitted with leading edge manoevering flaps. The 20mm gun was retained, fitted into the longer fairing as seen on late model F-4Es, together with APQ-120 solid state radar. JG 71 was the first Luftwaffe unit to be equipped, receiving its aircraft in May 1974. As most of the changes were indeed internal I would agree that a conversion, certainly to a late model F-4E, would probably be relatively straightforward. Don't blame me if you try it and it isn't :grin:

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More plodding progress - let's keep it glacial folks :grin:

I didn't get anywhere near as much bench time as I was hoping for this weekend for various reasons but I have managed to achieve something today. Alas, no paint though.

At the front end, I decided that I couldn't live with the profile of the engine inlets OOB. As moulded, the inlets are too rounded, a sort of elongated D shape, which is wrong. The upper lip of the intakes should be straighter and therefore I have had a bash at some correction work. I basically filed back the intake to the rough shape and then added a new intake lip using thin plastic card strip, which was then filled and sanded into shape. Below is the altered intake on the right hand side of the photo. I have yet to start the other inlet.

And from above, the altered intake now being at the top of shot

The top of the revised intake is flatter and the difference is more apparent in the flesh and hopefully will show better with paint on.

At the rear end, I have now fitted the dropped flaps and the mountings for the tail planes.

The tail plane mounts have been set in the full down position, as in a dive, which is typical of parked Phantoms, probably as a result of loss of hydraulic pressure once the engines have been shut down.

Next up I will finish off the remaining exhaust inlet, add some slotted leading edges to the tail planes and one or two other minor mods such as beefing up the chin inlets either side of the nose and adding a third inlet to the nose top. The gun fairing also requires a final sanding and then I will add some paint at long last. As usual I've made myself a whole lot of work with this model, albeit enjoyable work and hopefully it will pay off.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Wow. I can't believe all the filling and sanding going on here Shaun. You aren't far away from carving your own Phantom out of a block of filler. ;-)

It's coming on well though and I have to admire your persistence :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

:ha: :ha: You're right there Dazzled, it might have been easier to have started with a house brick block of filler and carve the bloody thing out! I do enjoy doing this sort of thing with old kits although it might appear to be a sort of modelling masochism. After a while though, I get fed up of the sanding, filler and additions and just want to get the paint on and this build is now approaching that stage I feel.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Continuing to be impressed by the work you're putting into this Shaun.

Nigel
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Looking good, all the sanding will pay off for sure.

Return to “Vietnam II GB”