You can never have too many Spitfires

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: You can never have too many Spitfires

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Zee28 wrote:I agree that when grumpy old Rumpole muttered SWMBO it was amusing, in that context. I just thought it was a tiny bit derisory in terms of all our (long suffering) modelling widows! All the time we can make our models we must admit that we could do a lot worse than the good ladies in our lives!

Maybe it's just me, but my girl actively encourages me to do modelling and often joins me at the bench and reads a book or watches a movie or something. Or sometimes she goes on line to search me out images of whatever plane I'm making a mess of at the time! Not so much 'She who must be obeyed', more like 'She who must be adored'.

OK, I'll stop now, before you're all physically sick. After all, this forum is not a Richard Curtis film!

Zee
You should have a quilter as spouse, friend, etc .... Whose stash is bigger than mine. Whose hobby is in the four billion dollar range, larger even than golf, making ours seem like rounding error. Whose hobby may allow for solitary work, but more appreciates a coven ( :lol:, a better word escapes me right now) of like minded to fill a room with chatter while working. And finally, who has determined my resting place -- in an urn on the shelf of a fabric shop, so I know I'll be visited. :grin:

But frankly, they don't play well online, and so she is at least jealous of the UAMF !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Zee28 wrote: OK, I'll stop now, before you're all physically sick. After all, this forum is not a Richard Curtis film!

Zee
That'll be "Four Spitfires and a Lancaster" then.
We can draw straws on who gets to be Hugh Grant...
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Whilst not objecting to my modelling, Mrs W finds it all rather amusing, fretting as we do over our toy aeroplanes and tanks (her words, not mine!) :ha: :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I get similar comments from Mrs. Ian.....
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

AndrewR wrote:That'll be "Four Spitfires and a Lancaster" then.
Well four Spitfires is certainly enough! Oh, hang on, no, I forgot, you can never have too many...... :ha:
We can draw straws on who gets to be Hugh Grant...
Bags not me! I never liked Andie MacDowell much. I would rather have dated the late Charlotte Coleman! ('Scarlett' in the movie).

Although, having said that, Hugh Grant was hilarious as the Prime Minister in 'Love Actually', when Martine McCutcheon (Natalie) is complaining about her useless ex-boyfriend:

Natalie: He says no one's gonna fancy a girl with thighs the size of big tree trunks. Not a nice guy, actually, in the end.

Prime Minister: Ah! You know, um, being Prime Minister, I could just have him murdered.

Natalie: Thank you, sir. I'll think about it.

Prime Minister: Please do. The SAS are absolutely charming. Ruthless trained killers are just a phone call away.

That did make me crack up!

Yeah, I know it's a chick-flick, but there are so many great moments in it, particularly Bill Nighy's part.

Wouldn't you just love to have a job where you could casually utter the phrase "Ruthless trained killers are just a phone call away"

That would end so many of my problems!

Zee
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I love Bill Nighy's humour and acting!
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Prisca wrote:I love Bill Nighy's humour and acting!
I agree Prisca. He's really funny in 'Love Actually' as the fading rock star. Also very good in 'Marigold Hotel', although Judi Dench steals the show.

Zee28
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I've not seen that movie actually, Marigold Hotel put on watch list. :)

:shock: It's 2.37 am, way past my bedtime.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Prisca wrote:I've not seen that movie actually, Marigold Hotel put on watch list. :)
Marigold Hotel is light, amusing, moving and delightful. There's no 'action' or intensity to the plot, it's entirely character driven, but what wonderful characters they are!

The culture clash between elderly Brits a bit set in their ways and the Indian community who run the hotel are handled not in a racist way, but in a sweet amusing way with nobody coming out looking bad.

The elderly old-fashioned Londoner lady (the wonderful Maggie Smith) who's a bit set in her ways and distrusting of anyone or anything 'Foreign' is handled very delicately and plays out beautifully. She's spent her life in 'Service' (like a maid or housekeeper for the aristocracy) and now retired, she slowly warms to the little Indian girl who ends up waiting on her, it's a moving scene as the race, prejudice and language barriers slowly break down. Very nicely done.

Her distrust of Indian food is also gently amusing 'Where's me Branston pickle, I want me Branston pickle' :-D

Watch out for the scene where Tom Wilkinson meets up after many decades with his long lost gay lover from his youth, it is stunningly moving.

If one goes into it looking for a plot then it'll disappoint, it's all about the chracters and it requires attention to be paid to the dialogue, but it's a delightful film.

Zee
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I got it on DVD for Katie last Christmas, and we haven't watched it yet!
Up in the Great White North
iggie

Post by iggie »

AndrewR wrote:I got it on DVD for Katie last Christmas, and we haven't watched it yet!
Then do so, and quickly; its brilliant! My wife and I were watching it on a flight from Erbil to Istanbul, only for it to be cut off for a totally trivial reason (we were about to land) and had to buy a copy at Heathrow when we got there later in our trip so we could see the end :lol:

PS picking up on someone's comment about being an MG fan, does having three MG ZTs qualify? :???:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

iggie wrote:

PS picking up on someone's comment about being an MG fan, does having three MG ZTs qualify? :???:

That was me Iggie and yes, IMHO, three MG ZTs certainly does qualify. I'm also a modern MG owner with a 2001 MGF VVC.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Zee28 wrote:
Prisca wrote:I love Bill Nighy's humour and acting!
I agree Prisca. He's really funny in 'Love Actually' as the fading rock star. Also very good in 'Marigold Hotel', although Judi Dench steals the show.

Zee28
See also Bill Nighy's "fading rock star" in Still Crazy - a cracking little movie from 1997 or so, complete with a small cameo from a then-unknown Mackenzie Crook.

Actually, Bill Nighy is one of the few actors whose name is always mentioned when a new Doctor Who is needed, who I could actually see in the role...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I've seen Still Crazy several times, it's from 1998, a good movie. Also have the soundtrack which I've listened to quite a lot. :)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

SWMBO & I enjoyed Marigold Hotel, Zee's summary above is right on, IMHO
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “General Chat”