Sissels Heinkel 112B ** Finished **

UAMF's signature event.
Runs 1st February to March 2nd.
GB Leader is Jssel.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Sissels Heinkel 112B ** Started **

Post by jssel »

Wow, this one pushing back some. Wonder if there was something on the plastic not allowing the paint to stick.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

splash wrote:
Prisca wrote: I've now made myself a proper drink where vodka is main ingredient. Along with fresh orange juice, sparkling water, ice cubes and a straw! 8-)
That drink must be good for you as it contains fruit juice :lol:
Oh, absolutely. It did the trick! :ha:
Any healthier and you'll have to call the cops on me.
jssel wrote:Wow, this one pushing back some. Wonder if there was something on the plastic not allowing the paint to stick.
That might be. No problem painting it on, stuck fine then. But the paint lifted very easy by touch. Finger touching the edges or accidentally on wing, it would peel. Like a hungry man wanting an orange. :lol:

I kept knocking off the aerial. Also when gloss coating it. So tomorrow is decals, spinner, aerial, then ah eh.. matt varnish. :-D

I'll say good night with poetry in motion

Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Are you using a primer?

I find I can paint Tamiya paint straight onto plastic but not other acrylics.

Alan
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oh, POETRY in Motion - I thought you said POULTRY....... :oops:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

See what happens when I spend time doing life-stuff? Sissel goes and nearly completes a Blitz!
Great recovery with the peeled paint. Doesn't look like you've had much luck with this one at all but you are certainly ploughing through it.
Respect!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

splash wrote:Are you using a primer?
Very rarely. I find Vallejo brushes well straight onto the surface. Two layers is for good coverage, depending on each bottle.
PaulBradley wrote:Oh, POETRY in Motion - I thought you said POULTRY.......
:-D :-D :lol: :lol:
Nice vid.
Ian wrote:See what happens when I spend time doing life-stuff? Sissel goes and nearly completes a Blitz!
Great recovery with the peeled paint. Doesn't look like you've had much luck with this one at all but you are certainly ploughing through it.
Respect!
Thank you! :grin:
I know I'm invincible.

The bad luck with this one continues!
I was up at the bench just after 9 am, thinking I had plenty of time needing to be finished at 12.10. Boy have this morning been stressing!

Let me explain.
Ooooh, a nice decal sheet, no?

Look at how close they squashed the decals. Much fun cutting around, tongue out, one eye closed. Don't you think they could have put them a LITTLE closer? :-D

Decal quality? Bad.
Easy to move around? Some adhered rock hard, others could be moved to position.
In register? No!
Break easy? Yes!
If I ever get another RS Models kit, I'll buy aftermarket decals.

The red color band was awful, it's length does not match rudder. Color differences at decal edges, a darker and more translucent red. One of them cracked when I tried moving it around, resulting in me stressing to find a thin needle to carefully lift the broken part and aligning it back. Success. Out with red paint to paint around decals, also painted over the color differences at the edges. No time to mix and match I just had to grab what was closest. It looked ok when brushing it on, when dry I saw it was much darker. But no time to fix.

Almost all the crosses had white where it shouldn't have. That is annoying, and not possible to see on the sheet.

By the way, the model is finished. Did I say that? I'm just waiting a bit for the nasty varnish to dry and settle. Can't use hairdryer on that to speed it up. One hour and twenty minutes left. Plenty of time, just need to finish this post first, okay?

Where was I?

Right!

The spinner is too thin, doesn't match fuselage. Was too late to fix it, so I just threw some paint around. I got the aerial back up again for the fifth time. Stay on, will you!

Decals on the underside: A cross decided to curl, I did manage to drag it back out on three corners, the fourth is as is.

Back to the red band on rudder. The other red band, on the other side, the dark side (or right/starboard if you want). :-D
Brilliant idea to leave half the swastika out so you need to put that on to match the other half already on the red band. Yay!
Guess if they decided to curl? Yep!
Thankfully I have lots of swastikas. Cut one out and found it was the same size (just luck or good eye call?). Now a tricky little job on getting that over the half swastika so it looks like one, and not one and a half.
Without too much drama (for once!), it was easy. Clap your hands.

The model is done btw, did I mention that?

What am I forgetting? I know I am forgetting something. Oh... are you still reading? Fallen asleep yet? Wakey, wakey! Coffee or tea? Milk, sugar, Baileys?

Had forgotton to paint the exhaust, did that.

This time I tried Revell acrylic matt varnish (the one I dished earlier). Not happy. Still brushes on streaky and grey/whitey. Thinning and stirring for ages doesn't work.
This is the very last time I'll let a varnish ruin my finish. Yep, out with Humbrol ENAMEL matt, I know I threw it in a drawer somewhere, or perhaps I gave it to my father...
But for now, lets just say this aircraft has a strange weathering effect too, ok?

Typewriter over and out.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Well it sounds like you've been having a lot of fun this morning! The joys of crappy decals spoiling the end of an otherwise problem-free build!!!
And who eats beetroot with roast beef?
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Please see my last post for explanation of the troubles, resulting in yet again a destroyed finish. Or odd weathering if you like. :-D

JG 132, Moravska Trebova (Mährisch-Trübau), October 1938

'Glamour' shots.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My goodness girl, this model has put you through the mill! I hate it when manufacturers cram decal sheets like that, I have a very small pair of nail scissors that I keep for just that purpose but sometimes it's difficult not to cut into neighbouring decals. Varnish was invented by the Devil to punish us modellers, the damn stuff can be so unpredictable, working fine one model and then ruining the next. There are few things worse in modelling than when the varnish spoils a finish after all of the decals are on.

Well done on finishing it anyway and I don't think it looks too bad at all, you make blitzing look so easy! If anything with the finish, I think the out of register decals stand out the most, but otherwise it looks fine to me. It looks a bit like a cross between a Spitfire and a Stuka.

Ian, I've never got on with beetroot, with or without roast beef, I find it tastes too earthy. It might go well with dried fish if you are an enthusiast.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TimJ
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sissels Heinkel 112B ** Finished **

Post by TimJ »

It turned out well despite all the problems you had with paint, decals, varnish and ill fitting parts (did I miss anything out? :grin: ).

I don't think I'll be putting this one on my shopping list.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great job. You beat it into submission.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Mmmmm, beetroot......

Wow, this one put up a struggle, eh? A difficult kit to blitz, I think.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Well considering the troubles you've had it doesn't look too bad. Doesn't look Blitzed. In fact I've finished models after weeks and they still look worse than this. An interesting subject!

Shaun, I'm not a massive fan either with or without dried fish. And dried fish doesn't sound too appealing either. Not like rotten fish!
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

ShaunW wrote:Ian, I've never got on with beetroot, with or without roast beef, I find it tastes too earthy. It might go well with dried fish if you are an enthusiast.
Too earthy? I didn't know you were an alien. But thanks for clarifying. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your kind words folks. With two bad blitzes messed up by varnish, I'll either skip it on my next subjects or build faster and go with enamel (need about 8 hours drying time).
So I really am hoping to up the quality then. :grin:
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

The blitz gods have not looked kindly on you the past few days, and after reading your post of woes I was expecting the worse, but I think it looks fantastic. Especially well done for sticking with it through the frustration.

Return to “Blitzbau XIV”