Why can't Americans say "Solder"?

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Why can't Americans say "Solder"?

Post by beany »

I was watching a YouTube video at lunchtime of a chap from across the pond soldering wires onto his model railway track, but eventually had to kill the sound as his persistent word use of "sodder" instead of "solder" was driving me mad :evil: (although his talk of "soddering" things made me chuckle very childishly I must admit). I know they recognise the letter "l", they even had a president called Lincoln, which has two "l"s in it, so what's the deal with solder?! Would someone from over there care to enlighten me please?!
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
coptermech
Active Participant

Re: Why can't Americans say "Solder"?

Post by coptermech »

The way "American" English has developed over the years, it's assumed in this case that the L is silent. At least thats the way its taught in school. To us, it's the perfectly normal way if saying that particular word. You'll find this is the case in many instances.

Just look at the state named Arkansas. It's pronounced Ar-kan-saw.

Well, at least that's my take on it. I'm sure there's many more reasons why things are this way.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

English can be a right load of old cobblers and in some ways could do with being simplified IMHO. Their and there for instance, why? I can't see the point. As for place names, take reading as in a book, pronounced reeding, Reading the town, pronounced redding. However, a trunk is on an elephant gentlemen, a hood is on a coat and neither belong on a car :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Heck, Al. We don't talk to one another anymore anyways. The only important thing is to keep our thumbs limbered up.

Last weekend the wife and I were having dinner out and we watched the couple next to us texting the entire meal. Never said a word to one another. Maybe they were texting each other, I just don't know.

Now where did I put my War-chester sauce.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's the same here as well Jeff. People falling down holes or walking into each other because they are totally focussed on their mobile phones instead of watching where they are going. The phones might be smart but the users often aren't so :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Al, if we had all these extraneous "L"s as you do maybe we'd be better at it :grin:

Here's an interesting discussion on the same subject:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... ord-solder;
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:It's the same here as well Jeff. People falling down holes or walking into each other because they are totally focussed on their mobile phones instead of watching where they are going. The phones might be smart but the users often aren't so :ha:
The rumour is that the next generation of phones will include collision avoidance radar :mrgreen:
Up in the Great White North
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

ShaunW wrote:However, a trunk is on an elephant gentlemen, a hood is on a coat and neither belong on a car :ha:
Well, a boot is worn on the foot, usually in pairs and a bonnet was a ladies hat.

Sorry, just had to be said :ha:

The very weird part about English is our ability to still understand each other. Was in England last year visiting relatives and SMW and really had no trouble with the language.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The various versions of English are as close as they've ever been because of the impact of television, so we can usually understand each other pretty well. Back in WW2 that wasn't always the case!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

...as you know from first hand experience, Andrew......

:ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

Try telling an American that his aeroplane has gone us or his altimeter ( al-tim-itter) setting 1304 hectopascals. :twisted: :ha:

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

English is the hardest language to learn, thanks to all its nuances.
That must mean that English people (like me) are the smartest in world! Except those who can't speak it correctly. Like those in the North, the South, the East and the West. Oh, and the midlands, of course. And all those colonials too.
Oh well, I guess it's just the Queen, then....
So what do the rest of us speak?
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:...as you know from first hand experience, Andrew......

:ha:
Thank you Tone... :ha:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

DH-Drover wrote:Try telling an American that his aeroplane has gone us or his altimeter ( al-tim-itter) setting 1304 hectopascals. :twisted: :ha:

Dai
That's not just language, that's unit conversion too - no argument that the US are still in the dark ages on that one... :mrgreen:
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

By the 1940s, American English was already pretty well known and understood in the UK. Even if American TV hadn't arrived yet, Hollywood certainly had. You only have to listen to Pikey in "Dad's Army" to understand the cultural impact Hollywood was having on the massive cinema going audiences of the period - especially youngsters.

The reasons why "Yanks" based in England were so popular with English kids weren't just down to the free chewing gum and sweets - it was because all these young American lads sounded like movie stars.

Return to “General Chat”