John's incredibly ugly Ka-14 *Finished*

For those 'tween war aircraft -- January 1919 to August 1939 -- military or civilian. Any kit, any scale.
Runs 1st February to 2nd March.
GB Leader is Chuck Finley.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

John's incredibly ugly Ka-14 *Finished*

Post by johnsan »

I don't think there is anything particularly attractive about this prototype, but somehow the production A5M has such elegant lines. Looks aside, this looks to be a very nice kit that I expect I'll only build once. Appropriate as there was only the one plane.

No box photo. It's just a cardboard box. This kit is magazine promotion for the Japanese magazine Model Graphix. This isn't a particularly favorite mag for me. It has far too much anime and Gundam crap inside, but these are popular with the Japanese modeling public.

The kit itself is a movie tie-in to the latest (and I fear last) Miyazaki film. The very interesting thing about this tie-in, is the story is based on reality as told in a anime feature done in earlier issues of Model Graphix by Miyazaki himself. Kinda cool, no?

Anyway, the kit looks really good on the sprues.

I'm a day late in starting the build. I hope that doesn't cause problems with completion within the time limit. Now I'm off to wash some plastic.
Really nothing pithy to say.
TimJ

Re: John's incredibly ugly Ka-14

Post by TimJ »

Looks like a nice kit. The wings remind me a bit of a Stuka. I look forward to seeing it progress.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

I rarely find a Fine Molds kit to be anything but well done. Now you have me wanting one to go with my Fujimi A5M4 Claude.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Chuck, Fujimi's Claude family are a big favorite of mine. I've built a couple and have a couple in the stash. The only shortcoming of those kits is the too-thick wing trailing edges. This kit has very sharp wing edges, so I've got to give the nod to FM. Of course, the FM kit costs 3 times as much and is only available with the magazine. Incidentally, for those preferring 48th scale, FM's 48th version is now available. Saw one the other day, but didn't look hard or note the price as I've no interest in that scale.

Anyway. Started painting. Paints used are GSI's Mr Color laquers.

Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

johnsan wrote:Chuck, Fujimi's Claude family are a big favorite of mine. I've built a couple and have a couple in the stash. The only shortcoming of those kits is the too-thick wing trailing edges. This kit has very sharp wing edges, so I've got to give the nod to FM. Of course, the FM kit costs 3 times as much and is only available with the magazine. Incidentally, for those preferring 48th scale, FM's 48th version is now available. Saw one the other day, but didn't look hard or note the price as I've no interest in that scale.

Anyway. Started painting. Paints used are GSI's Mr Color laquers.

You convinced me to place that order with Hobby Link Japan.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Chuck, while I hate to be the catalyst to your purchasing weakness, you won't be sorry. This is really a very nice kit.

I made only a little more progress today on this. I dipped the canopy in Future and chopped out the wingtip navigation lights. I haven't decided as yet whether to add belts to the seat or to add a pilot figure. I'm leaning towards the figure.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

The seated guy is the one I may be using.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Some nice detail on those little chaps.

Nigel
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

I placed that order with Hobby Link Japan this weekend along with a cockpit set for the Academy PBY-2.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The sculpting on the figures is very good. Plus the seated pilot has separated arms and head. I wish Airfix would do that too.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

AndrewR wrote:The sculpting on the figures is very good. Plus the seated pilot has separated arms and head. I wish Airfix would do that too.
I agree they look excellent and as an experienced modeller I'd prefer separate arms etc but for "kids" I think too fiddly.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

I'm not sure these are aimed at kids. I think most collectors of these sets in Japan are middle aged men. This figure set is part of a 20 issue set of Fine Molds Zeroes and sundry diorama stuff as a tie-in the majorly big hit movie in Japan "Eien No Zero" (The Eternal Zero). The movie has been much talked about here and is a hit with men and women. I've even heard it suggested as a date movie.

Each issue costs about $13. The set includes all the previously released FM Zeroes, carrier deck sections, figures, and some flight line vehicles. These are produced by the publisher Kodansha and are available in bookstores. I don't believe they are available in hobby shops.

Tamiya also has issued a couple of tie-in Zero releases of their Type 21 and 52 kits. New box art and decals.

The Ka-14 is similar in that it is a premium with a modeling magazine. I got mine in a book store, but have seen it in hobby shops as well. Incidentally the decals for the Zeroes are for planes featured in the film. I think these were based on actual aircraft, but if they are fictional markings, the markings follow conventions used by the units being portrayed. The markings for the Ka-14 are those of the prototype and consist of hinomaru and stencils. Not much else there on the plane.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Been working on the engine. FM provides a very nice molding that cries out for ignition wires.

The cowling and exhaust pipes are shown. They need to be added as does the manifold. The manifold is still in primer and needs its metal coat. Tomorrow.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That is a good looking engine !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Very nice in deed! I like the little oil stains near the prop hub. Were those done using your ink methods?

Return to “'tween Wars Aircraft GB”