Sandbags in 1/72 Scale?

Ideas for displaying your models.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Sandbags in 1/72 Scale?

Post by LarryH57 »

Has anyone got a good method of making 1/72 scale sandbags for a trench system I have made - I need quite a large quantity. Perhaps I could mould them in lengths?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sandbags in 1/72 Scale?

Post by fredk »

Milliput is your friend. Mush up, make a snake of it, place it where you want it and shape into individual oblongs. For layers, you can either make snakes on top of each other or just a block and score into the oblongs from top and sides. Edges can be smoothed off before it sets with a wet brush or piece of sponge. And if you're really careful the weave from a piece of silk can be impressed to give the look of rough weave on the sacking.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

I have just found another solution - make them from white tack (blue tacks rival?) that come in sheets and sold in Pound Shop. It can be rolled in to a long 'snake' and pressed with a knife to make representations of separate bags and if cut in shorter lengths can be stacked.
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Nigel Foster »

Hi again Larry, that sound like a really good solution. Can you tell me does the white tack go hard? Can it be painted, if so what paints are best? I am looking to do 1/72 scale sandbags for an airfield for my aircraft an that sounds very do-able.

Thanks

Nigel
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

It never goes hard but I have just decided to do a trial by putting white glue over it to see if there is any adverse reaction.
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Nigel Foster »

Thanks, sounds like it is worth a try.
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Especially as the quantity of white tac in the Pound Shop was quite a lot for £1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'd go the Milliput root, it has other uses in modelling like being an excellent filler ;-) Use a blunt knife to chop the thin sausages as it will pinch the ends to look more sand baggy.

When I was a kid I made some sandbags for a 1/35 AA gun, not knowing about Milliput I made some salt-dough and fashioned sandbags from that. My mum baked it the the oven for me to harden it off.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Display and Diorama”