Splash's vacform CH-37 Mojave

Helicopters in military markings. GB leader - SirT; runs July 1st to 31st
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Splash's vacform CH-37 Mojave

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:Cheers for the great comments guys.

I think I have been lucky with this vac form kit, the fit is not bad and the parts are big and simple and due to the size they have used heavy duty plastic so no thin spots.

The down side will be tiring to make the blades/rotor head & u/c as none of these parts are included.

what kit did you order Andrew?

Regards Splash
A Gerald Elliott Supermarine Attacker. Got it for peanuts, the postage wacked the cost right up. It should have some white metal bits, so it's not a total scratchbuild for the details.
Up in the Great White North
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

AndrewR wrote:
splash wrote:Cheers for the great comments guys.

I think I have been lucky with this vac form kit, the fit is not bad and the parts are big and simple and due to the size they have used heavy duty plastic so no thin spots.

The down side will be tiring to make the blades/rotor head & u/c as none of these parts are included.

what kit did you order Andrew?

Regards Splash
A Gerald Elliott Supermarine Attacker. Got it for peanuts, the postage wacked the cost right up. It should have some white metal bits, so it's not a total scratchbuild for the details.

Sounds like a good subject just like this build it's got a plain and simple shape, I look forward to watching the build.

If you need any walk around photos of the Attacker just give me a shout as the only remaining one is only 5 miles from my house at Yeovilton in the Fleet Air Arm museum.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I got feed up looking at grey so gave it a blow over with green, I'm now racking my brains on how to build a rotor head.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The clam door windows have caused me some concern, I know I should have fitted them when I had the body in two halves but the thought of vac formed transparencies' being fitted to a curved surface put me off, I was thinking about just painting the black but the more images I look at the more I feel its a major feature and needs doing.

On Monday I had to attend a meeting in Bristol and stopped off at Antics and as luck would have it they had one bottle of Glue & Glaze so I thought I would have a go.

I have not used Glue & Glaze before but first impressions are good, I tried it on a couple of test pieces and it looks good, So I'm going to take the plunge and cut out the nose door windows.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm wondering if the best way might be to cut out the doors themselves, fettle the windows in and then reattach the doors so that any seams are around the doors themselves..? Fitting the windows would be easier, I think, with smaller separate parts and not the whole fuselage...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:I'm wondering if the best way might be to cut out the doors themselves, fettle the windows in and then reattach the doors so that any seams are around the doors themselves..? Fitting the windows would be easier, I think, with smaller separate parts and not the whole fuselage...
Great idea that will be my plan "B" it would have made more sense if the manufacturer had supplied the doors as clear items in the first place.

I'm learning a lot from this build and still enjoying it, sorry must go its time for my meds :-D
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I just tried out Glue'n'Glaze for the first time on the Whirlwind cabin windows and it worked a treat.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Plan "A" Glue N Glaze

This will be interesting to see how clear it sets.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I was amazed how good it was :)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks like it will work. I was thinking it may not form a good window round a curved surface but the curve doesn't look too severe in the pics.

Nigel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It's not quite dry yet but is looking promising.

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

That looks pretty good, Splash...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

splash wrote:The clam door windows have caused me some concern, I know I should have fitted them when I had the body in two halves but the thought of vac formed transparencies' being fitted to a curved surface put me off, I was thinking about just painting the black but the more images I look at the more I feel its a major feature and needs doing.

On Monday I had to attend a meeting in Bristol and stopped off at Antics and as luck would have it they had one bottle of Glue & Glaze so I thought I would have a go.

I have not used Glue & Glaze before but first impressions are good, I tried it on a couple of test pieces and it looks good, So I'm going to take the plunge and cut out the nose door windows.
Meeting?, I thought you were retired!! :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

MarkyM607 wrote:Meeting?, I thought you were retired!! :ha: :ha: :ha:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Note quite I still need to work to get the money to build up my stash for when I retire :-D currently I have only enough kits to allow one build a month for the next 25 years so I need more kits to support me into my 90's
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It looks like plan "A" might just have worked, I have found a photo of an Army CH-37 that hand orange doors at the front and a orange band around the body by the rear stabiliser so I'm going to add a splash of colour.

The black marks around the windows are just black marker pen that I added to cover the white plastic once I cut out the windows.

Return to “Military Helicopters GB”