Crown P-51D 1/144

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Crown P-51D 1/144

Post by Tim Reynaga »

I’ve always loved the P-51D Mustang!

This one is the diminutive 1/144 scale bird from Minicraft. This 2018 release is actually a reissue of the 1974 Crown kit, which has been sold variously over the years by Revell, Academy, Trumpeter, Mini Hobby Models, and now Minicraft Models. This little beauty has certainly been around! Minicraft has added some value, though, with a new clear display stand, a pre-painted canopy, and some excellent Cartograf decals.

The small size, low parts count, and pre-painted canopy make this a fast build.

The little Mustang’s outline is accurate and the model goes together with a minimum of fuss, but small size means a number of simplifications. One of these is the cockpit, which is just a flat recessed area completely devoid of detail. To address this, Minicraft took the unusual approach of including a decal to represent the interior.

Placed over a green & black painted cockpit tub, the decal is surprisingly effective – especially under the thick canopy.

:)
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Crown P-51D 1/144

Post by Gregers »

Awesome. Though at that size it's more like a Shetland pony than a Mustang :grin: Looking forward to seeing the end result.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

The "cockpit" treatment is interesting and actually looks pretty convincing! Hobby Lobby (an arts and crafts store) carry's quite a few model kits, mostly cars, but some armor, ships and aircraft as well as paints, glue and airbrushes and all sorts of (IMO) overpriced tools. They happened to have this kit on the shelf and one was opened. The painted canopy claimed on the box intrigued me and I had to look....no such thing in the box (maybe pinched?), but the usual unpainted canopy was there. Looks to be a good kit though. Cant wait to see your build!
uavdb (Dave)
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Gregers wrote:Awesome. Though at that size it's more like a Shetland pony than a Mustang :grin: Looking forward to seeing the end result.

All the best

Greg
Ha! You are right, but she's a pretty little pony!
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

uavdb wrote:The "cockpit" treatment is interesting and actually looks pretty convincing! Hobby Lobby (an arts and crafts store) carry's quite a few model kits, mostly cars, but some armor, ships and aircraft as well as paints, glue and airbrushes and all sorts of (IMO) overpriced tools. They happened to have this kit on the shelf and one was opened. The painted canopy claimed on the box intrigued me and I had to look....no such thing in the box (maybe pinched?), but the usual unpainted canopy was there. Looks to be a good kit though. Cant wait to see your build!
Hi Dave,

I actually did buy this one at Hobby Lobby (for only about US$7 after the HL rebate!) The pre-painted canopy that comes with this release is very nice, and Minicraft even includes a standard unpainted canopy as well. Though of "classic' vintage, the kit is indeed pretty good. The old girl's panel lines are surprisingly sharp for a product of the 1970s. She's not perfect, though.

The intercooler and rectangular coolant matrix were just square depressions in the lower fuselage halves; I made simple sheet plastic improvements.

The wheels-up configuration leaves some nice extra parts...
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

The assembled Mustang now has its coat of Tamiya rattle-can AS-12 Bare Metal Silver.

A really cool feature of this 2018 Minicraft release is an optional pre-painted canopy. Unfortunately, I rubbed off some of the paint while blending the windscreen with the fuselage, so I still ended up masking and painting it along with the rest of the aircraft.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Shaping up very nicely.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

The kit came with decals for two different USAAF Mustangs, but I opted instead to use aftermarket markings from Draw Decal.

The model will depict “Twilight Tear,” an aircraft of the 8th Air Force’s 78th Fighter Group, 83rd Fighter Squadron flown by 1st Lieutenant Hubert Davis out of Duxford, England, in 1945.

The Draw Decal markings look great!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This is going to look stunning. A pretty pony indeed.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks Greg!

After the initial silver, I applied Tamiya rattle-can AS-6 Olive Drab USAAF for the anti-glare panel followed by red wingtips and a white spinner.

Image Image

With the application of the decals, a radio mast, and the finished spinner, P-51D Mustang “Twilight Tear” (named after the 1944 Racehorse of the Year) is complete!

Image Image

uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Looks great!
uavdb (Dave)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a real beauty, Tim, I find the P-51D is always a pleasure to look at but particularly in properly loud markings like those!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That is very sweet. A great result.

All the best

Greg
Albert Einstein
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks guys!

:pilot:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That really is a little gem, Tim and looking back at that rather wonderful painting you have posted I'm guessing that 1st Lt Davis managed to bag himself an Me-262 whilst flying the Twilight Tear?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”