ALQ 101 question

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

ALQ 101 question

Post by skypirate »

I have searched high and low and cannot find any helpful information about how the early ALQ-101 ECM pod was mounted in the Sparrow missile recess under F-4 Phantom forward fuselage.
The ALQ-87 comes with an adaptor designed for the recess. Photos abound, and this is often supplied in model kits.
But the 101? It has mounting lugs that mount to - what?

Here's a pic from the internet showing a Phantom carrying TWO.

They are evidently not 'flush' or semi-recessed like the Sparrow.
Any ideas?

Thank you,

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: ALQ 101 question

Post by Stuart »

Hi David,

I've had a look in my references but haven't had any luck (my ref's for the F-4 are pretty limited). I have however asked on your behalf on another forum I frequent, as the guys there are pretty knowledgeable - I'll let you know if they come up with anything.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

David,

I have a 1/48 ALQ-101 Sparrow bay mount if it's of any use to you. I can send that to you. Otherwise I can dig it out and take pictures that should be helpful. Give me a little while, I'll find it.

It's basically a semi cylindrical flush mount adapter for the bay approximately 1/3 of the bay length and mounted centrally on the main Sparrow fin recess, and onto that is attached a simple, straight pylon with a pair of sway braces and a horizontal flat mounting area. It holds the pod just a few inches away from the bay.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi David - I've sent you a PM.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, guys.
So this is the same adapter that FineMolds gives you, already attached to the ALQ-87 in their weapons set, but not as in independent item.
These ECM pods were not always attached to the missile bays; they are commonly seen on wing pylons, too.

I have the 1/48 piece, FM, and I am working in 1/72 this time, but thanks for the offer.
The corresponding Hasegawa 1/72 weapons sets do not include the adapter.
Italeri provided an undernourished version attached to their ALQ-119 in the F-4E/F/G kits.

So I will try to scratch build a of copy the FineMolds piece.
I have recently learned how to copy canopies myself, but my resin copying skills have been intermittent in the past and my materials are all dried up. It would be useful to have a supply of these in both scales.

After all, you can't have too many Phantoms!

David
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I don't think you can go far wrong by copying the FineMolds item. I am **fairly** sure there was just one basic Sparrow bay adapter for all the ALQ pods, that differed only in detail depending upon what was hanging from it, specifically the horizontal flat mounting shoe. A short length of sprue sanded to a half round would be a good basis for the adapter.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Could you not just cut it off the ALQ-87 in the weapons set? (Assuming you're not using it?)

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I am using the ALQ-87, Stuart.

Challenge accepted!
And completed!
This pic shows the FineMolds ALQ-87, as supplied in their weapons set, the FineMolds ALQ-101, and my imitation of the adapter, ready for painting.

The bloody adapter is asymmetric!; the half-round does not sit (ahem) 'squarely' in the Sparrow missile bay. That complicated the build, but it is only 1/72 and the result should pass muster after a coat of paint and and a light wash. There is a bit of tube styrene in there, sliced down the middle, glued (asymmetrically :-D ) to a trimmed down spare pylon, finished with more styrene bits.

Thanks, guys!

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”