Fujimi 1/700: USS Iowa, BB-61 in WWII.

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
PropWash
Active Participant

Fujimi 1/700: USS Iowa, BB-61 in WWII.

Post by PropWash »

The US Navy battleship, USS Iowa (BB-61), was the first battleship of its class. It was commissioned in 1943, and would see active service in World War II, and the Korean War. The ship was decommissioned, then reactivated, and decommissioned again, several times over the course of its service in the US Navy. It was finally decommissioned, permanently, in 1990. By 2006, the USS Iowa was stricken from the Navel Vessel Register (NVR). As of 2011, the Iowa is berthed as a museum for the Pacific Battleship Center, in San Pedro, California, USA.

Fujimi 1/700 USS Iowa

The kit is typical for Fujimi 1/700 scale as was released in 1975. It is kit # B115-800. It is a waterline only build. The plastic is of very good quality, and the molds are decent with minimal flash. Paint call-outs are general at best. The decals are missing the ship name and number, as well as markings for the aircraft - all you get is the flag.

Build

I really had no problems with the build to speak of. However, cutting, trimming, and then painting the (seemingly) endless number of machine guns did become tedious.

Painting and Decal

The painting directions that were provided were very basic and incorrect (to be very honest). It also didn't make mention of the camo that Iowa wore during much of its WWII service. I wanted to do the camo it wore during the period of 1944-45. It was known as Measure 32, design 1B. When it originally appeared in this camo, the edges of the "dark" areas on the hull were feathered. This changed after a repaint in 1944, in that the lines were straightened and much more delineated. This is what I tried to reproduce.

Colors are a bit of a problem too, in that, there are some who say the dark areas are, in fact, dull black. I feel, after much reading (on the Internet - so you can decide what is right), that the color was more of Dark Sea Blue. So my color palette consists of the following:

1. Hull: USN 5-0 Ocean Grey and Dark Sea Blue.

2. Deck: USN 2-0 Weather Deck Blue

3. Vertical surfaces: USN 5-H Haze Grey.

4. Camo for superstructure and turrets: Dark Sea Blue.

I used, whenever possible, pics of the ship during this time in WWII as a reference.

The decal sheet was abysmal. It only had the US Flag (for the stern). It missed having the ship name and bow numbers, as well as markings for the aircraft.

Conclusion

It is a decent enough kit without many vices. The biggest letdown was the decal sheet. Other than that, if you research the paint a bit, you should have a good build of it. I hope you enjoy it.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Fujimi 1/700: USS Iowa, BB-61 in WWII.

Post by splash »

Wow excellent work, I find 1/700 just a bit to small for me and draw the line at 1/600

Your painting is so crisp did you air brush or paint brush it?

Regards Alan
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I find it interesting that you raised the question, should it be dark blue or dark grey, I had the same problem with my current 1/350 HMS King George V build and went for Dark Grey towards the later years of her service.

I do find it frustrating, that some kits manufacturers don’t always display correct colour schemes or they use the same model as different ships that aren’t identical.

I look forward to seeing you next ships build.

Regards Alan
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Interesting how the camo extends over the superstructure. Nice build.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I know nothing about naval camouflage but I do know a great piece of modelling when I see it so I'll go and check out some other threads to find some :ha:

Only kidding, PW, that is a great looking Iowa and it's a shame Fujimi didn't make more effort with the decals.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Great work!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great looking build.

Nigel
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very nice work. The painting must have been excruciatingly fiddly 8- 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Stunning battleship. The measure 32 camouflage looks very good.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”