Matchbox 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow *FINISHED*

Time to pimp them rides!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Matchbox 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow *FINISHED*

Post by JamesPerrin »

This will be only the second motorcycle I've built, the last being a Tamiya Yamaha racer in my teens. Unless I can find and Airfix BSA for sensible money probably my last too! Yes I'm building this for Telford so wish me luck! An original MB release it has been subsequently released by by Revell.

The chrome has since be stripped with bleach and thanks to another member the heavy varnish coat which you can see in the close up removed with oven cleaner.

It will all be out of the box apart from some replacement cables and I want to try respoking the wheels.

... and yes I've seen this amazing build

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Matchbox 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow

Post by beany »

Good luck with that one James; I've been building it on and off for several years and have hated every minute so far, but at least I can take it off of my "Build It For Telford" list now!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks for the encouraging words Al :mrgreen:
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

At least you will have a beautiful bike at the end.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i built this some years ago i think it was a revell one it built up well it did have a few issues but nothing that can not be sorted i think it must have got broken and gone in the bin but i remember it was a very good likeness of the one to one i just love the old british bikes i will be watching with great interest and as gr said you will have a great looking bike when finished
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is complex kit and the reading the instructions is rather overwhelming. I decided to break the build down into phases and concentrate on preparing the parts, painting and assembly before focusing on the next phase. The phases are as follows:

* Engine and rear forks
* Front forks, handle bars and headlamp
* Front and rear mudguards, etc
* Wheels, respoke
* Seat, fuel tank
* Final assemble and small parts

It means I'm not trying to paint every single chrome part at the once, which though less efficient allows me to keep track of things much better as well as not cleaning up parts for a month before having anything to show. I've made notes as I've gone along too so I don't have to keep hunting for colour info.

I'm going for a clean, if not immaculate finish and limiting the colours to 3 metallics and and 3 blacks, the Me Color GX-2 Uno Black is a very good gloss lacquer and will be the base for most of the metallic features as well as the fuel tank. The engine and forks are Hu Gloss black.

A week of prep got me this and half a day of mounting parts to paint - it took only an hour to paint all the parts for phase 1.

Assembly for the most part was straight forward those the carbs were a pain as they are took parts that attach at an undefine angle and requires looks repeated at good references only to find that other things are in the way. There is some beautiful detail those and the value heads have a tiny raised Vincent logo. The Chrome as always has rubbed off especially after fiddling with the carbs and will need touching up. I might try clear coating other pieces. The engine is covered in bare metal nuts, the larger ones simple used a n Uni-ball silver paint pen and then touch up the sides and smaller fixing with Hu Authentic Airframe silver which is still streets ahead of any other brushable metallic.

A full evening so take my word that the chrome does look a lot brighter in person. I propped it up on my airbrush cup lid.

general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Grand job so far
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

great job
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks GR and Syd.

Phase 2 & 3 are being processed at the moment which involves a lot of clean up. I did complete the speedo and headlamp though today. The clear parts which are pretty good have decals that are printed back to front so you can't see the dials until you lift them from the backing sheet. The speedo clear part is quite concave but the decal responded well to some Micro Sol and a paper towel dipped in hot water.

It was easier to handle the clear parts on the sprue but I wished that I had dry fitted the bezels before painted as neither sat properly over the clear part. Some careful filing was needed in the inside edge. The inside of the headlamp's bezel is off centre but there wasn't anything I could do about it other that mount it symmetrically. PVA ensured that both clear and metallized parts remained unmarked.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Speedometer looks great!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow! Looking good, James.
Your methodical approach will whip this into shape!

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks both.

I've concentrated so much of on getting the parts cleaned up and painted I've overlooked the fit and find myself doing remedial work on painted parts that don't really like to be handled. It's not that things won't go together but rather the fit is so sloppy there is little to attach too. The wheel disks are a classic example, a tiny undernourished pin is meant to locate is a C shape at the end of the forks but is about 1/3 the required diameter; pin replaced with 1mm plastic rod. The axle stubs on the forks themselves are undersized for the holes in the disks and I backed the holes with card to give me a surface to glue to. The other two doodads form the frame that holds the headlamp and the front brakes that I remembered to drill out for the wiring to come.

To reduce handling and rubbing off more chrome I mounted the engine block onto a piece of wood.

The front forks and top frame attach directly to the engine which was one of the unique designs elements of these Vincent bikes. It would have been best to attach the mounts to the cylinder heads at the same time and not a last week as the loose fit of everything means the top frame is slightly off which had a knock on effect on the rear shocks. The shocks were again the victim of small pin in a big holes and more 1mm rod was used.

Annoyingly I've got one tiny part to paint before I can assemble the chain drive and various other parts that are all ready and waiting!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm usually up for following bike builds on here but somehow I missed the start of this one, sorry about that, James! So far so good I would say, the build is well up to your usual high standards. Using the engine as a stressed member of the frame was probably quite innovative at the time (I'm no expert on British bikes and in fact I have only ever ridden Japanese and German machines) and became pretty standard practice with more modern machines.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

ShaunW wrote: September 18th, 2022, 1:26 pm I'm usually up for following bike builds on here but somehow I missed the start of this one, sorry about that, James!
I’ll let it go, this time ;-)
fredk

Post by fredk »

deleted
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”