Splash's T-34 *** Finished***

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Splash's T-34

Post by splash »

Bruce your advice on Tamiya Olive Green is spot on, I'm now happy with the colour.

To add the turret armour , I have stuck tamiya masking tape to the area, marked out the panels on the tape then transferred it to thin plastic card, it was then a simple case of cutting and glueing the armour in place.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, I like the look of the additional turret armour.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A brown oil paint washe and small dabs of yellow and white have started to break up the monotone colour.

gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That's looking really good, Alan.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That weathering is putting some life into the scheme Alan.

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks guys.

I'm happy with how the turret armour has turned out, once I have given it a couple of washes the detail should stand out more.

I'm contemplating replacing the barrel with brass tube but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort?

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Alan, I rather like that. If you're not happy with the gun barrel and have some suitable tubing handy then replace it - the T-34 gun here is relatively simple and there is no muzzle brake to worry about although it looks like there is a taper to the barrel. I take it that the gun isn't glued into the mount otherwise you might have some drilling out to do! In recent years I have replaced gun barrels on small scale tanks with both plastic and brass tube but usually only if I've managed to sand a flat in the kit gun or if the kit gun simply looks bum, such as being bent or what have you. I'm too tightfisted to pay for replacement metal barrels unless I've picked them up really cheap at a show!

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I've drilled out the muzzle and it looks OK, so I might as well leave the kit's barrel in place.
chrism

Post by chrism »

just a simple action like that, drilling end out, makes a big difference, on barrels for shermans and ones like this which are just a tube.

liking what I am seeing with progress too.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

My recollection was that the kit barrel is too short, but it was the first T-34 kit I built and I might not have had my references sorted out properly yet. :) There is a muzzle at the end -- or maybe not a muzzle as such, but certainly some sort of "cap" at the end of the tube. A very slightly larger diameter piece of tubing, about 1.5 mm long, added to the end of the barrel might make all the visual difference. (Or replace it altogether with a cheap aluminium barrel, but be aware that the Aber barrel is the only accurate 3rd-party replacement. I wrote an article about it for the On The Way site: http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/ ... review.htm.)

There's some extra detailing you could add to the mantlet -- a few bolts on the sides and that sort of thing.

While you have your drill out you might want to add a tiny hole in the periscope on the top of the turret, so the commander can see where he's going. :) (Since the periscope rotated, the hole can face in any direction.) There should also be a larger hole on the starboard side of the mantlet for the co-axial MG (which sometimes protruded, but usually didn't), and a slightly smaller one on the port side, for the gunner's telescope.

Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers Bruce that article you wrote is interesting reading.

Adding 1.5mm sounds like a good idea I will have a go at that tomorrow.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds good to me Splash and worth doing. I was kindly given one of these T-34's at Huddersfield to add to my collection of MB military vehicles and will be building it at some point. OK, it might not be the world's finest T-34 kit in the scale but that doesn't really matter to me, I like the challenge of modifying and detailing classic kits and guess where I will be making reference :-D

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ShaunW wrote:Sounds good to me Splash and worth doing. I was kindly given one of these T-34's at Huddersfield to add to my collection of MB military vehicles and will be building it at some point. OK, it might not be the world's finest T-34 kit in the scale but that doesn't really matter to me, I like the challenge of modifying and detailing classic kits and guess where I will be making reference :-D
I agree with you Shaun, it's not the most accurate kit but it is fun to build and as I hope to demonstrate a few extra bits of detail make quite a difference.

Bruce's suggestion of adding 1.5mm of tube to the end sounded like a good idea. I had already drilled out the end of the barrel and due to my first attempt at drilling went slightly off centre I had to reduce the length further for my second attempt, so adding tube to correct the original + my errors was a good option, as you can see I have used a thin rod stuck in my original hole to support the tube extension.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm calling this one finished.

iggie

Re: Splash's T-34 *** Finished***

Post by iggie »

Nice job!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”