August's Pioneer-2 Fokker D.XXI

UAMF's Signature GB, Winter edition.
Runs 1-28 Feb and your GBL is Jssel.
K5083
Active Participant

August's Pioneer-2 Fokker D.XXI

Post by K5083 »

I plan to do as many as three blitzes this month, if I can find the time. I will be starting the first one today at 2:00 pm my time, in about half an hour from now. I am hoping to do a true 24-hour build, but am allowing myself some extra time tomorrow evening if I don't quite manage it.

Here is the kit box (from Scalemates, as I don't keep my boxes). This was later issued by Matchbox.

The kit does not look inordinately complex. There is no cockpit detail, just a floor with a seat sitting directly on top of it, meaning that the floor must be too high when installed. Panel line detail is raised but petite. Unfortunately it is not in the right places, so I intend to rub it out and rescribe as the first item of business.

Instructions are straightforward. Note that the engine is a separate unit, not just a face, and is not too bad looking.

The paint scheme offerings. I will do the left-hand Dutch scheme, also shown on the box top. The decals in my kit (1990 issue) are severely yellowed. However, that does not much affect the orange and black national markings, which are the only kit decals I will try to use. Color callouts are usefully given with FS codes and for several paint brands including Tamiya and Model Master, but they do not match later and (I assume) better researched sources such as the aftermarket decal sheet instructions from Print Scale. I reviewed such sources and photos of the preserved plane #221 in the Netherlands, and came up with my own paint matches for the unique 3-color camouflage. I have a Vallejo Model Color 70941 Burnt Umber that is a decent match for the red-brown underside and partial topside color; RAF Middle Stone will be okay for the sand or "earth yellow"; and a paint that I mixed to do an RLM 82 a few years ago is a good enough match for the green.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: August's Pioneer-2 Fokker D.XXI

Post by 59North »

That looks like a nice kit. I really like both the scheme's offered. I'd only have to decide between wheels or ski's. For me, ski's would win.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

2:21 pm. Major parts cleanup and surface detail removal under way.

August
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks a nice little kit of the old school. Good luck.

David
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Very cool kit. I too would go with skis, but looks like either way will be an interesting finish. Good luck!
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Good looking kit. Nice start
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good luck, will be interested to see how you get on
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Old school indeed but a nice subject and alternative parts. The engine looks a lot better in the instructions though.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A nice looking old kit of an interesting type, best of luck with it!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I always liked PM/Pioneer 2 kits, although the very early models were quite bad they quickly upped their game and the overall accuracy improved enormously although they did still include various minor omissions or mistakes but these were/are easily corrected and only add to their charm, the Sea Fury, Beech 18/C45 and Kansan, DFS-194, Lippisch P-13a, TA-183 Huckebein and this, the Fokker DXXI were particularly worth the effort and I keep an eye out for any that come available to add to my stash.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It’s a nice kit, one of PM’s better kits.

How is it going?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Good morning! This morning, a freakly prismatic combination of reflections in my house threw a 14-inch spectrum onto my wall.

Some nice colors there! Actually, literally all of them are there.

As for the Fokker, last night I got the cockpit built and the scribing done. My internet research found that D.XXI cockpits were light gray, so quite a bit will be seen through the generous transparency area. I stretched some of the kit sprues into tubing for the inside of the cockpit. (The D.XXI was built something like the Hurricane, a tubular structure with sheetmetal and fabric covering in various places.) I added sides to the seat, made foot rails out of some Evergreen I-beam stock, and used some extra stretched sprue for the stick. Other than a vaguely pie-slice-shaped bit of plastic on the left side to serve as a throttle quadrant, that's all I'll do for the sides. I painted it Tamiya XF-19 light grey. For the harness, I used the hopelessly yellowed white areas of the kit's decals, and sepia toned them further by soaking them off the carrier sheet in a few drops of my morning coffee rather than water. This was also a test of whether the kit's decals will break apart unless I use liquid decal film (YES!).

You might think that not even having the fuselage together, 19 hours into a 24-hour build, does not auger well for getting it done on time, and you'd be right. But the news is not all bad. The wings are rescribed, joined and cleaned up, and the fuselage is taped together while the cockpit sets up properly in position. I expect to get assembly completed and the painting at least well along by the 24-hour mark, with a good chance of completely finishing a few hours late.

You can see by the pic above that I had not yet cleaned up the edges of the wings nor cleaned the debris out of the rescribed panel lines when this was taken. That is now done, and they look a bit better. I've found that no amount of rinsing and brushing completely removes the dust that gets into the panel lines after a light sanding, so I tried dissolving it with thin liquid cement, applied very sparingly somewhat as you would a panel line wash. It works pretty well.

August
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good lord, re-scribing in a blitz??? :shock: :shock:
I hope you'll be able to get this assembled and painted in time! :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great photo. Yes scribing in a Blitz; very brave.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, extra detailing and re-scribing? that's brave stuff in a blitz, August! Nice prismatic effect photo too!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Blitzbau XXIV”