ORP Blyskawica, Mirage Hobby 1/400 *** Finished ***

Commemorating the start of WW2 with any Polish subject, military or civilian, any era, kit or scale ....
The GB runs from 1st September to 6th October and your host is Brickie.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

ORP Blyskawica, Mirage Hobby 1/400 *** Finished ***

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

ORP Błyskawica (Lightning) is a Grom-class destroyer which served in the Polish Navy during World War II and is preserved today as a museum ship.

Designed pre-war and built by Samuel White Co, she went into service in 1937. At the time she was one of the largest, fastest, and most heavily armed destroyers in the world. To prevent capture or destruction, Blyskawica and her sister ship Grom were sent to the UK where they served with the Royal Navy.

Designed for the Baltic, she was too top-heavy for the Atlantic and immediately had superstructure removed. In a later re-fit the original 120mm guns were reduced to 105mm and other armament changes made.

Blaskawica served in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, North Sea, and at Normandy, returning to Poland in 1947

Good references include:
-- Wikipedia
-- The museum

The Model

It's a simple kit, not many parts - and no photoetch !! It represents the ship as it exists today and probably very similar to 1947. I am doing nothing to try and research the history and backdate it to a pure WW2 configuration.

Here are 2 of the 3 pages of instruction, reinforcing how simple it is.

Early on, I made some comments about the camouflage. Once I sat down with the color diagram and my references, I figured out that the color keys were scrambled. I did find that the upper scheme, like the boxart, was also worm by HMS Hardy although slightly different colors.

The Wikipedia article has a photo, albeit grainy, of the lower scheme. I am not sure which one I will do.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: ORP Blyskawica, Mirage Hobby 1/400

Post by Old_Tonto »

Good to see a Naval subject John, excellent choice.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That is a handsome tub, very like the Tribals in some ways. Looking forward to you working your magic upon it.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Hurricane Dorian may have something to say about my participation ...

Anyway, I spent a lot more internet time and came up with a number of useful images.

Here is a color drawing that I think is much better than the one in the kit; it seems much closer to standard RN schemes. The top one (1st scheme) is the boxart pattern, if not exactly colors.

And here is a color(-ized?) picture that seems to match the bottom one (aka 2nd scheme) although the B55 seems washed out and the B30, too blue. The big patch of B30 on the bridge isn't present either. I do not know when this picture was taken.

And here it what I believe a period photo of the 2nd scheme which matches very closely if one looks carefully.

So, that might argue for me switching from the boxart (1st scheme) to the 2nd scheme.

Except, along the way I found two identical photos, one b/w and one color(-ized?) that closely resemble a Western Approaches scheme, which is entirely plausible. Here is the color(-ized) photo.

Now, I'm torn - I will shift from my 1st choice, the kit boxart - but do I go with the kit 2nd choice (corrected) or the WA scheme, which I really like. I guess a bit more research is needed.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, I was right about Dorian as I spent all of 1 Sep prepping the home, likewise much of today. We only have a couple hours work putting shutters down tomorrow, as needed.

Anyway, I got started with Step 1, joining the hull and decks together and doing a few bits.

There are no locators for the hull halves but I got it done easily with some hot glue. The two problems are that the fore deck sits atop the hull while the main deck sits within the hull. The forward part of the hull needs some spreading to get the fore deck on right but I cannot do that until I get the main deck on. It fits OK until the last 2 inches because the depth charge racks force the deck to sit atop the hull. I cut two slots out of the hull so the DC rails would fit in. Then I had to sand some off the deck sides to get them to fit inside the hull.

It test fits and tomorrow I'll glue the main deck into the hull. Then I can test fit the fore deck and will probably need some spreaders to get it right - that'll all be test & trim.

Problem is that I lose my natural light once I put the storm shutters down in my work room.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

That's... very pink.

Stay safe, hope Dorian leaves you be.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I look forward to watching this build as I just found the same kit in my stash.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

Pictures from a few years ago. But maybe they will be helpful. Unfortunately, I was not on board because I came across a day of internal work ...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Dorian will run away when he sees your ORP Błyskawica :)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That's a very good-looking destroyer.

Good luck with Dorian, John.

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

dwomby wrote:That's a very good-looking destroyer.

Good luck with Dorian, John.

David
You know it's coming to Canada after here :)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Przemek wrote:Pictures from a few years ago. But maybe they will be helpful. Unfortunately, I was not on board because I came across a day of internal work ...

Dorian will run away when he sees your ORP Błyskawica :)
Thanks for those, now I wish I had some PE canvas railing ...
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice pics, Przemek. That is an attractive scheme. I hope Dorian has left you alone too, John.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, I have not been idle, just inattentive.

So, my fiddling with the deck to hull fit worked and they fit pretty neatly together. That's kinda the standard for this kit and the build "fits together pretty neatly". It's a bit clunky, and the location arrows on the instructions don't always point to the right place, or not obviously so -- not helped by the lack of locators in many places. Nonetheless, a little study usually answers all questions. The 3rd step of the instructions shows 2 gun directors, part B15, one fore & one aft, but there is only one B15. After a bit of poking around and looking at the drawings, I decided the aft gun director (or whatever) is really part C12 and everything is OK.

So at a slow rate, I now have all the superstructure parts on - leaving the guns, torps, d/c throwers, radars, boats, mast, etc - the details - so I think I can start the overall camo job.

I think I'll do a light gray coat over the uppers, the boot stripe, and the red lower hull - that'll give me time to pick my camo scheme. I might note the boot stripe is engraved on the hull and so will not be too hard to follow. It's overly deep but I'm not going to fill it - at least that's not the plan now.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

What deck colours are you thinking of going with?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Excellent question, as I haven’t researched it yet - suggestions are welcome as instructions are largely silent.

Return to “The Polish Campaign”