Rob's "Crusher Joe" fighter

UAMF's signature semi-annual GB ....
Runs 1 - 31 August, 2021, and your host is Jssel
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's "Crusher Joe" fighter

Post by rob_van_riel »

A while back, I needed some padding for an order from Japan, and I though this critter looked tasty:

Now, before you ask, I've never seen, let alone read, any of the Crusher Joe books or anime, so I don't know the first thing about it.

Upon arrival, I found the kit to be just a bit too clunky to truly inspire. However, it seems to be Hasegawa's entry into the no paint, no glue, but still a decent model arena, and that can mean only one thing: it's blitzfodder :twisted:

Now, I may be the only one here (but I doubt it) that still has nightmares about horrible metallic grey plastic. The instructions indicate the grey parts should be just that. So why, this one time it would have actually been good, wasn't this sprue done in old fashioned metallic? Oh well, I have a airbrush..

On the flip side, the inclusion of clear and tinted canopies is nice, as are the nicely detailed figures.

I'll be doing this one in bare plastic and spot painting mode, as the kit is clearly intended to be built. We'll see if Hasegawa can do as good as Bandai for this stuff.

As usual, I'll be starting very late this evening with a quick blast of varnish, primer, and in this case metallic grey, and then burning through 8+ hours of blitz time snoring :ha:
rob_van_riel

Re: Rob's "Crusher Joe" fighter

Post by rob_van_riel »

Ten o'clock, time to get cracking..

As said, just some very minor removal of stubs and gates, followed by gunmetal, matt varnish, and grey primer to get set for the real job tomorrow. Also dipped the tinted canopy.

Nap time :-D
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Nice entry Rob.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Izzt mrning uhlruddy...

Ok, OK, I'll get to work..

I've painted up the frame on the tinted canopy. In retrospect, this was probably one of the easier canopies to mask and airbrush, but I'm kind of stuck on using the hairy stick for window frames, and didn't even think about it.

My late night airbrush and rattlecan work came out pretty much as expected, to my relief; I really was too tired to do this properly, so some luck involved.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The rear ends of the fins on the wings need to be the same metallic grey as the engine areas, but splitting them up and using different colours of plastic was obviously a problem, so masking and airbrushing it was.

This, and the canopy frames, is the last part where I needed to use slow curing paints, so from now on drying times, and thus sequence, will become less relevant.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks an interesting kit Rob, although I have to admit that I've never even heard of the characters or series it is based upon!
Looks like you're making good progress with it, keep up the good work 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Love this! Tight work on the canopy.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Not a lot to show for my work these past hours, just a bunch of partial sub-assemblies, but that's how it goes.

Most of the detail colours on the interior are provided as decals, but they don't like me. Quite stiff, and quite prone to braking up.

There's a lot of different colours on the figures, and even acrylics need some time to dry, so I'll be doing little dabs of paint on them all through the day.

Hasegawa have some catching up to do if they want to get the level of Bandai with this sort of kits. I've already had to use cement on some smallish parts, and I actually had to paint the inside of the cockpit tub :roll: Not even remotely an issue for a traditional kit of course, but I don't think that's what they were shooting for. I also expect to be doing a lot of touch-up, where differently coloured edges show. I just hope that will be limeited to gunmetal; colour matching the white or blue would get very tricky indeed.

Iggie, it sounds like you know as much about the source material as I do :-D
jssel

Post by jssel »

Yes. Ok progress. Like the overall shape of the subject.

Press on.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

An interesting looking kit. Good progress so far Rob.
I also knew nothing about Crusher Joe so 5 minutes on Google and I now know that the novels began in 1977 and the movie came out in 1983, the trailer for which is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfuMj_sCLc
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jssel wrote: August 6th, 2021, 12:55 pmLike the overall shape of the subject.
Exactly what led to the kit ending up on my shelf ;-)

Like Beany, I looked up the source just out of general curiosity. Maybe I'll take a peek at the movie some day, but for now, it's just a cool design for a fighter :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

It think this is called "progress" :lol:

Sadly, not all parts fit as tightly as they should, and to really make this kit work requires cement and filler; the parts just aren't precise enough to work well enough to please the more critical modeller. And that would of course mean painting the whole thing as well, wiping out the advantage of pre-coloured parts. Don't get me wrong, it's a good kit, but it fails to accomplish what it set out to do.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Crikey, that suddenly moved on a bit!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote: August 6th, 2021, 2:52 pmCrikey, that suddenly moved on a bit!
Such is the nature of these beasties. I think if I left out all the paintwork, I could build this kit in an hour at most. So, you go nowhere for a while while you prep the parts, and then suddenly the model is built.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Two Thumbs up!

Return to “Blitzbau XXIX”