Rob's Sea Harrier *finished*

Dedicated to the memory of our friend Alan 'Splash' Ashdown, who served in the Falklands during the War in 1982. The GB runs from May 1 to June 14; your host is Gregers.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Sea Harrier *finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

I was completely determined not to get dragged into any new builds until I'd completed a good part of the bench queens, but I guess I'll just have to make an exception for a salute to Alan. This does mean I'm totally unprepared for this GB, and will have to make do with whatever the stash will supply, which leaves me with only a Hasegawa Sea Harrier:

Box contents:

Nothing spectacular or surprising I'm afraid, but I'll have to make do.

The kit includes decals for a machine from 899NAS aboard HMS Hermes in 1982. To the best of my limited knowledge, that would put it in the Falklands.

From my very brief reading on the subject matter, Sea Harriers from Hermes were at the very edge of their operational range, and mostly used for air defence. I'm fairly certain that would mean Sidewinders and fuel tanks under the wings, but what about the gun pods? Does anyone here know if they were carried?
Old_Tonto

Re: Rob's Sea Harrier

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great choice Rob. Will look forward to seeing this one completed as Iv'e not had the pleasure of building this kit.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great choice, Rob. I'm not sure about the ADEN gun pods but I vaguely recall something along the lines that the RN used ex-RAF pods? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help you out.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I know that the particular Sea Harrier that I built previously used RAF gun pods still with the green camo, but don't know about other a/c.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Airfix show them fitted in their sea harrier /skyhawk dogfight double. Not a definitive answer though.
Cheers Howard
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've found information that a Pucara was shot down by cannon fire from a Sea Harrier. Can't do that unless the guns are fitted, so I guess that settles the loadout: Sidewinders outboard, fuel tanks inboard, and guns on the fuselage.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The state of play at the point where I'm calling it quits for today:

The cockpit module is a single piece. I have a much nicer resin ejection seat lying around, but to fit it would involve loss of the cockpit tub and a complete scratchbuild of the interior, which risks a DNF. The pilot figure isn't all that great either, but should be sufficient to create a busy interior and hide the lack of seat detail. As expected, instruments are provided as decals.

The main fuselage and the gun pod halves are joined. Fit is pretty good, but that won't prevent some work along the spine, and probably some panel line restoration, since the (otherwise lovely) very fine lines will probably be wiped out by the slightest sanding.

I've made a start at filling in the trenches of the Sidewinder locator tabs; they make it easy to get the missiles on correctly, but it never looks good to me, so I prefer filling them and lining up the missiles by hand.

This is one of those kits that's actually dirt cheap in it's home country; HLJ sells them for 720 yen, or just shy of 6 euro, in other words pocket money levels. Getting them half way across the planet adds obvious costs, but Japanese kids at least have access to good, affordable kits.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks a great choice Rob, and a good-ish kit as well 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Good start Rob. I have the Harrier GR.1 in the same series I believe and it is a nice, albeit basic, little kit. I'm hoping your build will inspire me to dig it out and get it finished.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great choice. Load out would be
AIM9L Sidewinders on the outer pylons
Fuel tanks on the inners.
30mm Gun pods under fuselage.

The 9Limas were acquired from USAF stocks at Asention Island.
Hope this helps.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

beany wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 11:54 amGood start Rob. I have the Harrier GR.1 in the same series I believe and it is a nice, albeit basic, little kit. I'm hoping your build will inspire me to dig it out and get it finished.
Thanks.
I'm aways happy to supply inspiration, but do note that their GR1/AV-8A is a completely different tooling, and almost 15 years older. There are three distinct Hasegawa Harrier families: the 1969 tooling of the GR1/AV-8A, which was eventually boxed by a dozen or so companies including Frog, the 1982 FRS1/GR3, which is what I'm working on here, and the 2000 GR5-9/AV-8B family. In all cases, the quality of the kit is pretty good for the time it came out, but the time difference is quite noticable.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Gregers wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 12:38 pm Great choice. Load out would be
AIM9L Sidewinders on the outer pylons
Fuel tanks on the inners.
30mm Gun pods under fuselage.

The 9Limas were acquired from USAF stocks at Asention Island.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for confirming the load out.
The 'new' AIM-9Ls got quite a bit of coverage over the years. Apparently, the difference between those and earlier marks was enough that they might well have been a completely different missile.
Sometimes I wonder who they think they're kidding, still calling the AIM-9X a Sidewinder, I doubt it has a single part in common with the AIM-9B ;-)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

rob_van_riel wrote: May 1st, 2022, 7:44 pm I've found information that a Pucara was shot down by cannon fire from a Sea Harrier. Can't do that unless the guns are fitted, so I guess that settles the loadout: Sidewinders outboard, fuel tanks inboard, and guns on the fuselage.
It's been ages since I've read any of the subject matter, but I think quite a few of the Harriers kills were courtesy of the Guns.

Nice choice of kit Rob.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Stuart wrote: May 4th, 2022, 5:44 pmIt's been ages since I've read any of the subject matter, but I think quite a few of the Harriers kills were courtesy of the Guns.
To be honest I stopped looking after the first confirmed gun kill; it only takes one instance to know that they were carried. And if they were carried.. well, after all the effort they invested in maintaining, cleaning and loading the guns it would be very ungratefull to the ground crews not to put them to good use :twisted:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just some small steps today. I've done some painting on the cockpit tub, and got the decals on. The decals are about twice as wide as the consoles in the plastic, so some trimming will have to be done after they've set and been treated with solvent. I failed to notice earlier that the back of the ejection seat is very visibly hollow, so I've started work on blocking that off.
I've mostly cleaned up the Sidewinders, but they'll need another pass. A small amount of filler along the spine of the fuselage is curing, and I got some painting done on the engine front and exhausts.

Return to “Falklands War 40th Anniversary”