MPM Gloster Meteor F Mk.8 'Hi-Tech' Edition 1/72 (72531)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

MPM Gloster Meteor F Mk.8 'Hi-Tech' Edition 1/72 (72531)

Post by iggie »

I bought this as one of the schemes offered matches a Bletchley Park Post Office first day cover I have :-D

The original tooling for this kit dates from 2009. It was then re-released by Xtrakit with some additional parts the same year, and then re-boxed twice by MPM, along with the extra parts in 2007 and 2009 (this release). The tooling is limited run, in so much that there are no locating pins, and flow marks can be seen in some places although it remains to be seen if they will affect paint. The kit is presented in a sturdy box comprising a lower tray and close fitting top; the artwork is nicely done and depicts a Mk.8 of 601 (County of London) Squadron, based at North Weald circa 1953. Two other schemes are offered, a Belgian machine from 1955 and a Dutch aircraft from 1954; both these last two are in Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue. The 601 machine is in High Speed Silver overall.
Instructions are in an A5 folded but un-stapled booklet (handy for access to parts layouts/colour references) and printed in black and white with the exception of the painting sections which are in full colour. Decals are extensive, with good colour resolution, opacity and register and provide a good amount of stencilling as well. They are printed by AVIPRINT.
Parts wise, we have two frames of grey styrene, a small bag of resin bits, one fret of clear components and a small amount of PE.
The styrene looks well moulded, with quite small sprue gates (smaller than Airfix current practice 8-) ) and very fine recessed panel lines & details. Extra detail is provided as raised sections on engine bulkheads and all looks as though it should respond well to paint application although I suspect better by airbrush than paintbrush. There are a number of parts shown in the instructions as not being used; some are replaced by more detailed resin parts, others appear not to be used for the variant covered in this boxing.
Resin parts comprise undercarriage bays, cockpit floor, coaming and side walls along with a nice bang-seat. There are other fine parts too...
Two canopies are supplied. Both can only be assembled closed and merely provide a fully glazed rear section or part glazed, part metal one. The RAF aircraft uses the latter, the two foreign service machines the former. Both are reasonably clear but not crystal!
The PE is from Eduard, and includes pre-coloured components for seat-belts, I.P., bang seat handles and an access ladder.
You will I strongly suspect need to provide your own nose-weights to avoid a tail sitter, and your own pilot if modelling the aircraft in flight.
All in all it looks a good kit, and one that with care will build up into a very good representation of this classic aircraft. With the addition of the PE and resin, even at list price it seems good value, if you can get it a bit below then it becomes very good value in my eyes.

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: MPM Gloster Meteor F Mk.8 'Hi-Tech' Edition 1/72 (72531)

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks a very nice kit. When are you starting it? :-D

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: MPM Gloster Meteor F Mk.8 'Hi-Tech' Edition 1/72 (72531)

Post by ShaunW »

IMHO the F Mk.8 is the best looking of the single-seat Meteors and this looks like a nicely comprehensive kit of the aircraft, Jim. I look forward to seeing your efforts with it in due course - thanks for a peek in the box and for the detailed review.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “In-Box reviews”