Das Werk Ju EF-126 "Elli" / EF-127 "Walli" 1/32 DW 32001

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Das Werk Ju EF-126 "Elli" / EF-127 "Walli" 1/32 DW 32001

Post by iggie »

Recently released, this is a new departure for the Das Werk team and (I think) their first foray into the 1/32nd aircraft market. Their choice of subject is a touch left field for some, being a 'Luft 46' design but it must be said that one of the three (yes, three) toes that can be built from this kit did actually fly albeit as a glider and in Soviet hands.
Both the EF-126 and EF-127 were part of the experimental fighter programme proposed by the German Minaturjägerprogramm of 1944-1945, for a cheap and simple fighter powered by a pulse jet engine or a solid fuel rocket in the case of the 127.
The kit is presented in a very nicely printed and illustrated tray type box and comprises three sprues of sharply moulded darkish grey plastic, one of (very!) clear plastic (including a protective film over the main canopy), a large sheet of decals and a beautifully presented instruction manual which includes a short description (fictional I guess) of flying an EF-126 and a history of the designs and the fighter development programme.
I have said previously that Das Werk could become the new Wingnut Wings, as to me their kits are of equal quality.
The boxing offers a choice of three different models; a single engined or twin engined EF-126 (both using the Argus power unit of Doodlebug infamy) or a rocket powered EF-127. All three can be built in three ways; take off, in flight or landing although it should be noted that no pilot figure is provided. I'll bet there is already one available from the after-market chaps.
The parts are all crisply moulded, with finely recessed panel lines where applicable (the wings were to be made with plywood covering so are smooth) and some nice detail provided. The decals look very sharp (Cartograph) and even include stencils for product identification of different types of plywood.
All in all, an excellent looking kit with some great options included and of an unusual set of subjects. Heartily recommended 8-)

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Early Bird Fan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Das Werk Ju EF-126 "Elli" / EF-127 "Walli" 1/32 DW 32001

Post by Early Bird Fan »

looks like a very nicely detailed kit
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

An interesting type - I wonder how they were planning on making a throttleable pulse jet, which you would surely need for any sort of practicable fighter. I've always understood it was extremely difficult to control the fuel flow of a pulse jet.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

PaulBradley wrote:An interesting type - I wonder how they were planning on making a throttleable pulse jet, which you would surely need for any sort of practicable fighter. I've always understood it was extremely difficult to control the fuel flow of a pulse jet.
That was my thought, the pulse jet was great for long range missiles like the V1 flying a set speed, but must have restricted a fighter, just like the Me 163 Komet good for hitting bomber formations but little else.

I wonder if variable jet pipe nozzles would work?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That is one sharp looking kit. Thanks for sharing this with the group
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “In-Box reviews”