Zvezda C-130H Hercules 1/72

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Zvezda C-130H Hercules 1/72

Post by iggie »

Zvezda have been steadily building a decent reputation for themselves in recent years for producing a range of good quality kits at very attractive prices, and this latest release is no different.
Described on the box as "American Heavy Transport Plane" (that'll annoy TeeELL :-D), this kit represents the archetypal Herky Bird much beloved by airforces and airshow crowds the world over and in the 'H' model, the most produced version to have yet seen service.
I make no judgement regarding accuracy, but it certainly looks like a Hercules in the box :-D
The kit comprises 8 sprues moulded in Zvezda's usual slightly soft mid-grey plastic and a single sprue of clear parts. Of note straightaway is the presence of three flight crew figures! The figures look well sculpted, and given the clarity of the cockpit glazing, they should look good painted up and sitting at the controls. A nice touch, and one a few notable manufacturers could do well to take note of.
Engraved details are present on pretty much all the parts, with restrained panel lines throughout. They're is no apparent flash, and although some ejector pin marks are to be seen, most I suspect will be out of sight on the completed model so they should not present any significant problems.
One other point to raise is the need to cut a significant chunk of the cargo rail frame (see photo below) in stage 16 of the construction. Does this indicate later versions (longer) of the Hercules to come?
There is a full interior, from cockpit to tail ramp, including folded self-loading cargo seats and it lends itself to a little led lighting and some palletised loads or a vehicle or two.
The instructions are printed in black and white, but look to be well detailed and sufficient to allow assembly without having to work out where parts are supposed to be located. There are two sheets of decals, one with insignia and serials relevant to the five options offered, and one larger sheet of stencils and wing walkway lining. These last are printed with large areas of carrier film between the lines, so may be easier to apply than single lines but it will depend on how well the large decals settle down.
All in all, and especially considering the size of the finished model and the relatively low cost of the kit, this looks like becoming a future classic for those with the space to build and exhibit such a sizeable aircraft!

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Zvezda C-130H Hercules 1/72

Post by splash »

Wow what an excellent comprehensive review, I almost feel like I have built the kit.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
wokka

Post by wokka »

Looks very good, spent 3 years servicing these and based on memory nothing on what you've shown of the kit stands out as wrong
It's only pain, work through it.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks for that Jim, looks packed with bits and bobs!. I have built the Italeri E/H version but I converted that to the W.Mk.2 'Snoopy', and I have a J from Zvezda. Haven't actually built and actual Herc!, might be the one to get!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

That looks very nice, indeed! Thanks for sharing, Jim!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Good review Jim, thank you. Looks like a nice kit and I'm quite taken with the Japanese colour scheme.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Great review. Looks like it will make for a pretty decent build.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “In-Box reviews”