Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance (New Tool)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance (New Tool)

Post by iggie »

Well, finally the long awaited Airfix 'Katy' has arrived!
I cannot honestly remember what the original delivery date was when it was first announced but I've a feeling this is like many other recent new releases, a long way wide of it's projected arrival.
Still, it's here now so onto what we find inside the usual sturdy top opening box in the customary red scheme:
There is one part, already removed from the sprue and moulded from a crystal clear material. The single decal has already been applied and to my untrained eye appears to be of the correct era and type but I'm sure there will be those out there ready to call out any errors....
On to the photos:

Oh, and there was also some plastic too:
There are three frames of parts, moulded in a light tan plastic reminiscent of Academy parts. Although an Airfix new tool, I note from the box lid that the contents are 'made in Korea' which is of course where Academy Plastic Model Co., Ltd is based...just sayin' ;-)
There is one sprue of crystal clear parts, very thin and crisply moulded and one small fret of PE components.

All parts look very nicely moulded, no flash apparent and any ejection marks on non-visible locations.

There is a reasonably large sheet of decals, again with hallmarks of Academy present with Korean and English script on the reverse. The decals not surprisingly contain mostly red crosses on white backgrounds and look very sharp and nicely in register.

The instructions again (IMHO) bear a passing resemblance to past Academy offerings re-boxed by Airfix.

All in all, a good looking kit that looks like it will build up nicely. There looks to be sufficient detail both internally and externally to make a good looking model but there also should be good potential for extra detail to be added either scratch built or from after-market sellers. It will also be interesting to see how this model compares with the newly released Gecko Models version... funny that, wait all year for an ambulance and then two come along at once. :???:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Re: Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance (New Tool)

Post by chrism »

I have been told by someone in the definite know ... that it was all manufactured by Academy and was produced in collaboration with them, including decals
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very neat! Thanks for sharing, Jim!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks crisp and the kit ain’t bad either. This is a great promo by Airfix so well done to them. Airfix confirmed they have partnered with Academy in one of their Sprue Talk podcasts.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

JamesPerrin wrote: August 15th, 2022, 11:13 pm Looks crisp and the kit ain’t bad either. This is a great promo by Airfix so well done to them. Airfix confirmed they have partnered with Academy in one of their Sprue Talk podcasts.
Ha, that'll teach me to actually watch them then! :grin:
Still, as you say it's a great way for us to have access to new kits which otherwise might not see the light of day and I'm guessing that the joint venture keeps the resulting price down as well so what's not to like 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

Thanks for the review Jim. I'm curious about the glass though? Anything to do with Ice Cold In Alex by any chance? If that is the case then wouldn't it have been nice of Airfix to include figures of John Mills, Sylvia Syms, Anthony Quale and Harry Andrews? I definitely would go straight out and buy this kit if they were included but as it is, an ambulance kit alone isn't something that I'd be greatly interested in.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Then buy the Gecko kit, you'll at least get a Princess Elizabeth driver.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

David Silver wrote: August 17th, 2022, 9:26 am Thanks for the review Jim. I'm curious about the glass though? Anything to do with Ice Cold In Alex by any chance? If that is the case then wouldn't it have been nice of Airfix to include figures of John Mills, Sylvia Syms, Anthony Quale and Harry Andrews? I definitely would go straight out and buy this kit if they were included but as it is, an ambulance kit alone isn't something that I'd be greatly interested in.
There was no explanation for the glass that I recall either in the email that first mentioned it, or in the parcel when it arrived. I think it was intended by way of goodwill for the lengthy delay in the kit being released, which is a nice touch but I'd prefer that Airfix get their production more attuned to their marketing.... I do fully appreciate that the events of the last couple of years have not made their life any easier in this regard but this has been going on well before the pandemic and global logistic issues. It's it a deal breaker for me? No it's not at all, it just looks unprofessional.

Edit to add text from Airfix original email that mentioned the glass:
"Building model kits during the summer months can be thirsty work. That’s why we’ve amended your Austin K2/Y Ambulance (A1375) pre-order to include an exclusive FREE Airfix pint glass."
Best wishes

Jim
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 17th, 2022, 1:30 pm Then buy the Gecko kit, you'll at least get a Princess Elizabeth driver.
Thanks for the heads up John, I found this..." As well as a scheme to go with the figure of HRH, there will be an 'Ice Cold in Alex' option." I think I'll wait for this option. ICIA happens to be one of my all time favourite films.
chrism

Post by chrism »

It is connected with licencing issues that there is no icia references with this kit
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “In-Box reviews”