Is it possible to mould clear plastic

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
stiffy
starter kit

Is it possible to mould clear plastic

Post by stiffy »

I did a pretty stupid move today and messed up a clear section of plastic used in a Tamiya motorcycle kit from the 1980s. I really want to finish this model as it is a bike my mum owns.

It has a double curvature and I'm wondering if it was possible to re mould a copy. Would anyone on here have any suggestions please ?

thanks
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Is it possible to mould clear plastic

Post by rob_van_riel »

stiffy wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:37 pm It has a double curvature and I'm wondering if it was possible to re mould a copy. Would anyone on here have any suggestions please ?
Many here use 'crash moulding' in some form, that is, stretching heated, clear plastic over the original part or some other mould. I could never get the hang of that, so I won't go into details.

An alternative (assuming the part is thick enough) would be to make a mould from silicone rubber using the original part as a master, and then casting the replacement from clear PU resin. I had some success with this, but depending on your level of experience with making silicone moulds and casting PU it would be tricky, or extremely hard without getting the basics of this technique down first.

Sometimes there are also after market replacements available (some problems go away if you throw money at them... ); you could check on www.scalemates.com.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Also consider whether it’s possible to sand out the error and then polish the plastic. You can then dip in a clear varnish like Humbrol’s Decalfix.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

stiffy wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:37 pm It has a double curvature and I'm wondering if it was possible to re mould a copy. Would anyone on here have any suggestions please ?
It would really help if you could post a photo of the part you are talking about or even the kit name and scale to give us more of an idea of how to help.
Cheers, Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
stiffy
starter kit

Post by stiffy »

Sorry for not getting back on this.

It was for a fairlly Rare Tamiya kit of a motorcycle - a Honda VT250f V TWIN. I ended up cutting some clear plastic and moulding it with boiling water. I got it to fit albeit not very well. thank you for all the suggestions. I may have another go at improving it.

Return to “Construction Tips”