Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Post by Stamford »

Softscience wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 4:53 am Begrudgingly, the top wing went on. At least temporarily.

Either the cabane struts are a touch too long, the interplane struts a touch too short, or the lower wing doesn't have enough dihedral, or I did something wrong, or a combination of the above, but the interplane struts didn't reach both wings without a bit of pressure. I'm worried that once the tape comes off the wings, the interplane struts are

Everything is a little messy; especially the rest cabane struts. I hate messy on models, it totally trip my OCD switches

Really guys. Talk me off the edge. I want to go mess with this.to fix it.
Sorry dude can't handle messy either. Same with everything it's tolerance levels I suppose! I don't like those inverted ejector pin marks either things like that bug me much more than minor inaccuracies strangely.
running at the edge of their world
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Softscience wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 4:53 am Begrudgingly, the top wing went on. At least temporarily.

Either the cabane struts are a touch too long, the interplane struts a touch too short, or the lower wing doesn't have enough dihedral, or I did something wrong, or a combination of the above, but the interplane struts didn't reach both wings without a bit of pressure. I'm worried that once the tape comes off the wings, the interplane struts are

Everything is a little messy; especially the rest cabane struts. I hate messy on models, it totally trip my OCD switches

Really guys. Talk me off the edge. I want to go mess with this.to fix it.
Sorry dude can't handle messy either. Same with everything it's tolerance levels I suppose! I don't like those inverted ejector pin marks either things like that bug me much more than minor inaccuracies strangely.
I try to drop that attitude but it doesn't really change how I feel about a model!
running at the edge of their world
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Softscience wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 6:29 pm
Lone Modeller wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:48 pm
Have you thought of investing in a wing jig? I do not have one but I know of many modellers who think that they are a solution to the wing alignment problem.
I would like to get one, but they seem to be out of stock wherever I look. Suggestions?
I have no idea whether this would be any good:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/ind ... 263841#new

I know that they can be expensive too - perhaps others on that site might be able to help.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Remember this one? I didn't.

I was working on this when we were in temporary housing after had the big flood in our house in 2019. I think there were a few posts made about it in my earlier workbench thread. After we moved back to our repaired home, this kit went in a box and got sent upstairs. Over time the box got crushed by others over, so I had to rebuild some of the struts. This Vallejo flexi CA stuff is pretty good for these kinds of repairs. I still need to repaint the struts and find a replacement prop, because I don't know where the kit part went. More photos soon.

Working on this again, has really brought back some memories about the flooding, and the immediate aftermath.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Not good memories at all I'm sure Ralph. The Fokker looks good though.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Fokker looks peachy, Ralph. I recall your flooding incident, not the best of times for you I'm sure.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Woohoo! Last night I found a spare Fokker prop in the spares box. It must be from the DR.I I built at the beginning of 2018. One of the nice things about these WW I types, is all the interchangeable parts, and a lot of the kits come with the extras.

My LHS has Roden's 1/32 SE5A. I'm trying to find an honest build review of one, but google just keeps pointing me to finished models and Tom Cleaver's typically vague, hence useless review on Modeling Madness. All make vague mention of some fit issues. Nothing specific, whether this means tricky wing and strut alignment. Would it be something a biplane neophyte like me could handle?
iggie

Post by iggie »

I used the Roden SE5a as the basis for my build in the GB we had in honour of the Great Auk: whilst it was a WHIF and incorporated parts from something else, the parts were well moulded as I recall, and fitted together well.

Certainly on this side of the pond, its not the most expensive kit about, and would make a good 'advanced trainer' I should think 😉
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks, Jim.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Good to see the Fokker E ViII is back - but not of course the memories. I do hope that you finish this one as it is a really good looking model.
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

This is a quite nice video about the building not that great for clarifying the difficulties but nice to watch.

and here is quite informative build process in a german forum. But you have to be a member if you want to see the images - send a PM with a translated PDF
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks, fellows.

And that makes five off the Shelf of Doom. This one was slated for the bin, so I'm glad I was able to save it. I have a few more SoD projects, including one that started in 2010, but I might switch to a fresh kit next. Something I've been wanting to do since 2018-ish. It's big (even in 1/72), it's bulky, it floats.

More pictures in the Aviation modeling subforum.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Super.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Stunning Eindecker.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

That is a good looking Fokker, so Spad or Sunderland, that’s a hell of a choice!
Cheers, Neale.

Close enough for government work

Return to “Workbench Window”